icon

compustar cs 600s tachless mode failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2012 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have installed hundreds of these starters and usualy have good results with them. Recently i  have had customers coming back complaining the car wont start, it trys to start 3 times and then shuts off. This is happening in tachless mode. I am having cars come back tha thave worked for one or two years then they start having this problem. I am seeing this problem in all types of cars not just one make or model. Usualy if the car starts in tachlessmode in the shop everything is good. But I dont understand how it couldwork for a year or two then have problems. A couple other shops that I know that use this model are having the same problem. I almost seems if the tachless mode fails or degrades over time.

When I do my installs I usualy solder my conections. I have found vehicals with thin ignition wires tend to not work wel lwith tachless mode.

Now for an example I have first noticed this problem with Ford Escapes they will work tachless most of the time but usualy will fall to start at some pont. So I will always hook up a tach wire when I do thes vehicals. I have installed some other brand starters like Scytec in this specific vehical and did it tachless and had no issuses with it starting

I really like the Compustar products but this problem along with the mysterous valet mode issues could be a deal breaker.

Solartech Window Tinting and Electronics,contract installer
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2012 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
The most likely answer is that as vehicles get older, they take longer to start... which could explain why they are not starting.
A true tach connection is ALWAYS the best solution... and the right solution. I would suggest connecting the tach and not having to worry about it. It realistically only adds maybe 5-10 minutes to an install (less if you are also connecting a hood pin, which should also be done).
The old saying stands... do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. Don't take it personal; I'm not attacking your installations, just stating an opinion.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
phil6710 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2012 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I agree that connecting the tach is the best way for an install. But I have had good luck with these units with tachless for years up untill recenly. Also most of the newer cars are done with a bypass module and I do tach mode through data or wire to wire from the module. Or even better I will use assume start ,option 2-4 4 on the cs-600s so far has worked flawless. I see you are from Albany NY, I install at several shops and run a shop in Schenectady NY. 
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2012 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  

Have you tried programming option 2-04 to Opt 4 for those "one touch" start vehicles?

I've only used a few CS600-s so far and always connected to a tach signal.  Only thing I noticed is that they seem a little sensitive and will continue to crank if you did a Tach Learn at a fast idle.  They also have very good range for an AM transmitter.

Soldering is fun!
phil6710 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2012 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Yes yes I use that option as much as possible.

garlock 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have just installed a cs600s in my 96 olds 88, heres my problem,  The car will start & run for 5 seconds then shut off, I know this unit come in tachless mode, this car does not have a tach, where can I hook the tach wire to get a signal?   on an injector or at the ignition module, & what wire on the module would I use.  Thanks in advance.   Charlie
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Info from DEI:
Tachometer       Blue  (AC)              tach test connector
The tach test connector is a 2 pin connector located on the passenger side of the engine compartment by the firewall taped to a harness.
Soldering is fun!
garlock 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kreg, You made my day!  I had read that the tach wire was purple & white, location behind dash passenger side at ccci module. I found a PURPLE / white at ing. module but wasn't sure that was it. This is much better under the hood! Thanks again!
kreg357 
Posted: January 08, 2012 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
    compustar cs 600s tachless mode failure - Last Post -- posted image.      Glad to help!
Soldering is fun!
dtodd80 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Would anyone be able to help with an issue I am having with my starter. I had the compustar CS600-S installed at my local Best Buy in November and once the weather turned cold I started having the same issue as earlier in this post where my vehicle would start and run a few seconds and then shuts off. It would do this 3 times and I would have to try and start it again. I took it back in to see if they could fix and after reading this post I recommended the true tach connection which the installer did after not being able to troubleshoot. The next morning it was cold out and started right up, but later that day when getting off work tried to start and then it cranked and did not start. The lights flashed like it did start but the engine was not running and it also did not try to start 3 times like before. I tried to start again and the parking lights flashed 3 times and then once more. I took it back to Best Buy, but they could not replicate what happened to me and they didn't have any ideas of what to do except thinking I may have a defective unit. Does anyone have any other ideas they may be missing. Thanks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic