icon

2011 bmw x5 check engine light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
I purchased a brand new 2011-X5 (in september of 2010) and within 1 month, i saw my check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and he said to check with the service department. I went there and they checked and the light went off. A few weeks later it came back on. So i went there again, this time they told me the car was too new and a sofware/firmware update was needed and was not yet available for my vehicle and they would let me know when it would be ready.   Then i waited for over 12 months, and went to do my first Service maintenance (on december 12, 2011), where they did some recalls and service maintenance as well as a total software update (UPDATE COMPLETE VEHICLE SOFTWARE TO LATEST LEVEL for the DMTL FAULT) and the check-engine light went off.
A week later the light came back on.
I have spoken to several friends, and family, who all think this should never happen from a reputable car manufacturer such as BMW, even after a year, the problem isnt fixed.
I am starting to get annoyed with this. Everytime I drive i see a check engine light on and this is for over 12 months now. Needless to say this was my first BMW purchase and really starting to think about ever buying another one again.   
Please let me know what measures anyone thinks I should take to help remedy this annoying problem.
Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the BMW *is* the safest car on the road, after all... The tow truck usually takes the hit! 2011 bmw x5 check engine light - Last Post -- posted image.LOL2011 bmw x5 check engine light - Last Post -- posted image. No, wait... That's the Jaguar! 2011 bmw x5 check engine light - Last Post -- posted image.
Sorry, dude, couldn't resist. [:P] Seriously, though... The internet is RIFE with the "X5 Engine Light Issue". If the dealer can't fix it, I don't honestly know if there's any way we'll be able to help you. As far as you know, are you doing anything to trip it? What kind of gas are you putting in it? Filters all in good order? Bake fluid? Air pressure in the tires? (These are all shots in the dark, amigo...) Are you able to reset it? (Usually you can, using the trip reset button, but I have no idea how to do it...) Have you rented or bought an OBDC-II reader, to help YOU diagnose it, rather than relying on the dealer to spoon feed you what THEY say is wrong?
I wish I had more for you, but my personal BEST suggestion would be to spring for the OBDC-II reader. Once you get a code, it's easy to figure out what's wrong beyond that; LOTS of info in the 'net. Also, I have been charging $30.00 to read and reset friends and acquaintances lights! Already paid for itself, easily! 2011 bmw x5 check engine light - Last Post -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your response, which is what I did yesterday. I purchased an OBD2 reader/writer, and hope to be able to see all the errors and codes myself, instead of depending on the dealer (who might be hiding certain facts from me).    On your mention of safest car on the road, isnt Volvo the safest on the road?
I want to know the truth, and nothing more than the truth. Its sad how our society has changed that business is mostly done with lies, I believe you can do good business with the truth! ANyway, I will forgive the guys at BMW service as they are just paid employees and doing their best I am assuming. I cant wait for the unit to arrive, apparently you can read or even write to the car computer, which i wonder how safe that is unless you are sure of what you are writing back to the car system.    I will use it on all four of my vehicles, so I realized its worth paying for it. Buy once, use it 4 times rightaway.
I will try to post back the results once I get the unit and do a test for myself. Once i get the real codes, I will be able to talk to Mr BMW Serviceman better and speak his language so to speak.
As you state its all over the Net, I will do that now after hitting the Post Reply button now.   ANd thanks for your response, as its now sending me to look at the net! Thanks again and enjoy your day.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot to answer some of your queries. So here i am making sure I answer your questions: The check engine light sometimes goes away after half the gas tank is empty and then comes on again before getting close to empty. This is sometimes though.
I always put premium gas in the car (as what the sales person told me) and the manual says not to use anything below a certain grade, so i decided to go for the grade above, by getting the Premium or Plus sometimes, both above the recommended fuel.
There isnt anything I did to turn the light off, as I dont know how to do that yet. Am looking at the Net now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic