icon

0 gauge copper or aluminum?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2012 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Electrically 0 ga CCA is better than 4 ga Cu. But if you want to replace 4 ga Cu with its equivalent CCA counterpart, follow along:
I will be using resistivity instead of conductivity, since the values are proportional,it will not make a difference.
Resistivity (ρ):
Cu = 5.61E-08 Ω-ft
CCA = 8.69E-08 Ω-ft
Following oldspark's logic, we have:
Resistivity of CCA = 8.69/5.61 = 1.55 of Cu (I dropped the exponents since they cancel out anyway.)
So,
CCA has 5.61/8.69 = 65% the resistivity of Cu
Dimensions:
2 ga = 6.54304 mmD = 33.61 mm2
4 ga = 5.18922mmD = 21.14 mm2
2 ga has 33.61 / 21.14 = 1.59 times the area of 4 ga
1.59 * 65% = 1.03
So, 2 ga CCA is 1.04 times the conductivity of 4 ga Cu. For 12V applications this is equivalent.
The resistance of 1000 ft of 4 ga Cu = 0.246 Ω
The resistance of 1000 ft of 2 ga CCA = 0.240 Ω
As oldspark has mentioned earlier, CCA is prone to fatigue fractures especially if it has been nicked and from flexing. Whenever possible it is best to use copper for automotive applications. If you must use CCA go at least 2 wire gauge sizes larger that what is recommended when using copper.
I have worked this out in the past and the resistance per 1000 ft is very close when comparing Cu with CCA that is 2 gauge sizes larger.
Maybe someday when I have a bit of time to kill when I get to 1000 posts under my belt, I'll do a write up on this to get my certification badge 0 gauge copper or aluminum? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2012 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Our calcs should be the same. Resistivity is merely the inverse of conductivity.
We have the same conductivity/resistance ratio (5.61/8.69 = 64.5).
I presume my area calcs were wrong (pi R squared; R=D/2). I might recheck later in the year or decade....
But what an error - my 1.6x better makes the CCA enticing (though I reckon it's not enough to outweigh the complications - unless it's a race car...) whereas one wouldn't even consider doing it if there is only 4% difference.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
All that's well and good, but I still believe - STRONGLY - that is proper concessions are made, i.e. upsizing the gauge appropriately for aluminum conductors, versus copper conductors, then there should be no difference between wires.
As long as the voltage drop is the same, regardless of the conductor, then explain to me WHY you still believe it's not a good thing to use aluminum in place of copper. Again, IF THE WIRE GAUGE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THE CURRENT REQUIREMENTS, THEN THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE, REGARDLESS OF THE CONDUCTOR.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
The only problem using aluminum wire is that it is much more brittle than copper and it's more difficult to make good connections using it.  If you're a pro and know how to terminate it and properly support it fine, go for it.  But I for one do not recommend using Al wire in car audio applications.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I can accept that as a valid reason. I was not thinking of the work-hardening of vibrating metals. I also love your caveats! :P
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
OK. I can accept that as a valid reason. I was not thinking of the work-hardening of vibrating metals. I also love your caveats! :P

Yes, vibration is the enemy of aluminum wiring, especially in a vehicle.  My caveats are always the same: if you know what you're doing then do it.  If you don't, then don't.  0 gauge copper or aluminum? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
equilibrium1990 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
Just installed 50 ft of 0Ga CCA wire last night, Running 1500RMS off it. Massive difference in sound quality over the 4Ga OFC I had in there, tho that's not to say 0 Ga OFC would not do better of course. I will let you guys no if any issues arise. Picked up IMC Audio 50Ft spool for $45Aud + Freight so I most certainly will not be complaining either way.
deeryders 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
whats the difference from CCA wire and OFC wire
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
haemphyst 
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
CCA - Copper Clad Aluminum
OFC - Oxygen Free Copper
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic