icon

average installer salary?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Right now I have a different type of job, but I would possibly like to get back into installing. But im not sure if its worth it or not. I dont like my job (who doesn't these days?) but it pays the bills. I really think id like to install again (its something I enjoy doing). So my question is how much does the average installer make? Im talking about an installer that works at a car audio shop or something (no Best Buy). I used to work at a dealership installing (as a vendor), so thats why im asking. If I could be making more than I already am, and ill enjoy it, im all for it. Thanks for your help.

BTW, im not an installer anymore. Thats my old signature at the bottom. lol

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Minium wage if your lucky..........................................................
spldoc72 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

I start off newb installers @ $9 hr. A  well versed installer who can troubleshoot problems and do Car Audio/Video/ & Security will get around $12 to $14 per hour DOE. On a personal note, I think all installers are undervalued and have allowed it to happen. It takes a rare breed of individual that can stay abreast of current car electronics with databus integration and lan systems. Installers aren't " a dime a dozen" anymore. I've been looking for a veteran installer for my main store for over 2 years and haven't found one yet. I think any installer with over 10 years experience who can troubleshoot problems and handle most alarms is worth $20 per hour+ IMO.

Most employers want MECP cert'd installers or long term vets in their shops, but they don't want to pay them for their apptitude. Why are we undervalued? We have to go to technical schools and pass equivalency exams for certifications just like an x-ray tech or other highly skilled field technician, yet we don't demand the pay for that knowledge. I myself have been in this industry for over 20 years and find it "difficult" to get paid what I'm actually worth. Maybe we should start a "union"..........

Burke McKay
District Manager/12 Volt Buyer
Hooper's Stereo Video & Computer
(601) 693-2715
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2012 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
the thought of unionizing the 12 volt industry has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. the simple fact of the matter is that car electronics and accessories are pure luxury unlike plumbing, electricity, car manufacturing, medical etc. so there isnt really a way to have the customers by their stones like other major unionized industries and force them to pay outrageous amounts of money for regular items. and we have to deal with price competition from the hacks out there too who decide one day to pick up a pair of strippers and call themselves installers. i hate it every time someone tells me they can get something done cheaper from some dude they know who said he could do the job so many hundreds less, but then they come back to me a month later when their car and equipment is half way installed/destroyed because as it turns out the dude didnt know what he was talking about. but they expect me to go behind and just fix what he messed up and only charge half the price because its already halfway done for me according to the customer.
the only way to really get paid in this industry as an installer is to work on super luxury vehicles for rich people and that kind of clientele just doesnt exist except for in a few places around the world. plus it doesnt help that these luxury cars usually come with everything you could possibly want anyway so it takes a certain kind of customer to spend extra thousands of dollars to replace the factory premium goodies for aftermarket goodies that may not even be much of an upgrade at all.
most of us, despite our knowledge and know-how, are doomed to forever work on mostly cheap cars for mostly cheap customers, so unionizing for better pay would put the industry mostly out of reach of 80% of our customers. tis a sad day indeed.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2012 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
So true, i agree with all comments here totally, it's really tough as an installer, even on my side of the world, customers neither employer want to pay us what we're worth, but as said by soundnsecurity, we are mostly built on luxury and not neccesity, i figured this out a long time ago, so sad, but it's reality.
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic