unconventional uses for car alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
two12 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2012 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
Back when I was in college I had a DEI Viper 550ESP on my car. I bought the stand alone channel expander for it which was basically just a receiver that worked with the remotes that had its own dedicated outputs. I wired it up in my apartment and wired a SPDT relay to a 3 way switch. I could then turn my bedroom light on and off with my keyfob.
hi KPierson, so the channel expanders will work as stand alone units then? I've been wondering about that.
another-kelly wrote:
i have a small +12v power supply (6 amps i think?) powering an older Clifford Matrix RS. i bought a Chamberlain replacement garage door opener and programmed it to both garage doors. after opening up the Chamberlain unit, i soldered two wires each to the buttons inside the unit. just using the lock/unlock and trunk release outputs of the Clifford to trigger relays that closed the loop between the the two (each) wires that i soldered to the Chamberlain remote
cool! thanks for explaining it. Im guessing we could do this with simple push button remotes of any type to incorporate whatever they control into our alarm system. nice!
hey, does anyone know how or of a relay that is 120VAC input to control a 12VDC output? this would make it possible to tie in standard (PIR) motion sensors as found on home outdoor flood lights to trigger wires on our alarms, no?
this would be alot cheaper than the beam sensor idea I mentioned. after looking into it I decided the only way to make it false alarm proof would be to use two beam set-ups so the price doubled.
thanks for all the ideas here, keep them comming!
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2012 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
DEI had the 450R and the 450T. one had a receiver built in (450R)?, the
other did not.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
For the cat door, put the rif tag on the collor of the cat, the receiver anntenna  pick up under a wood step.   When the tag triggers the immobilizer, use the output to run a motor to open door  (or unlatch lock) and after times out it closes door.  Inside just used a switch that was triggered by the wieght of animal.    To bad you can buy ready made comerical units, but pricey.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=two12][cool! thanks for explaining it. Im guessing we could do this with simple push button remotes of any type to incorporate whatever they control into our alarm system. nice!

hey, does anyone know how or of a relay that is 120VAC input to control a 12VDC output? this would make it possible to tie in standard (PIR) motion sensors as found on home outdoor flood lights to trigger wires on our alarms, no?
this would be alot cheaper than the beam sensor idea I mentioned. after looking into it I decided the only way to make it false alarm proof would be to use two beam set-ups so the price doubled.
thanks for all the ideas here, keep them comming!
[/QUOTE/]

ive never taken a motion flood light apart to test wether the motion sensor part of it uses ac or dc but if it uses 120vac then it would seem to me like too much of a hassle when you could just buy a standard PIR motion sensor for an alarm that works completely on 12vdc. they come with a built in spdt relay with a common, normally open, and normally closed. the only difference is that it doesnt have the current capacity as a standard automotive relay.

(edit): nevermind, i had to read your post a few times to realize what you were talking about. im sure if you search for a 120Vac relay something will pop up. all it has to do is activate with ac current. honestly you could probably use a transistor to create a dc output.

two12 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:

ive never taken a motion flood light apart to test wether the motion sensor part of it uses ac or dc but if it uses 120vac then it would seem to me like too much of a hassle when you could just buy a standard PIR motion sensor for an alarm that works completely on 12vdc. they come with a built in spdt relay with a common, normally open, and normally closed. the only difference is that it doesnt have the current capacity as a standard automotive relay.

(edit): nevermind, i had to read your post a few times to realize what you were talking about. im sure if you search for a 120Vac relay something will pop up. all it has to do is activate with ac current. honestly you could probably use a transistor to create a dc output.

sorry for the confusion SS. I did find these PIRs but still looking for a source in the US for them:
http://roltaonline.ecrater.co.uk/p/7278335/diy-pir-motion-activated-switch
one on each side would be great on the RV to light up LEDs then switch to audible alert while sleeping.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic