icon

Tweeter help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrenchmnky 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I want to get some tweeters for my truck but, Iam not sure how to install them myself (wiring).  Do I tap off my dash speaker wires? If so, do I need a crossover ect?  Iam pretty green on this stuff  Tweeter help - Last Post -- posted image..  I have done everything else on my truck but it was a no brainer so far.  I think I might get the Polk EX3500.  Is it possible to get some feed back on my choice of tweetsTweeter help - Last Post -- posted image.
Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
to add tweeters, you can wire them in parallel with the fronts. Make sure the tweeters have crossovers with them too. I think the best way to add tweeters is to hook 'em up to an amp. That way you have the ability to control the volume on them. What I did with mine is I have a four channel amp, and hooked up the tweeters to channels 1 and 2, and hooked up my front coaxials to channel 3 and 4.
Unless you like how they sound if they're hooked up with the front.
Good luck
Russ
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Just add them in parallel with the fronts and make sure to use a crossover.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
In my opinion, there's no need to hook them up to a separate amplifier channel, especially considering I've yet to see an amp with high-pass filters that have cut-off frequencies high enough to be effective for tweeters.  Best way to hook them up is to make sure they have their own crossovers, and just add them in parallel to the front speakers, as cletis already saidTweeter help - Last Post -- posted image.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i would go that way too
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
Just be careful wiring them in parallel though. If you have 4 ohm speakers, and add 4ohm tweeters in parallel, then you will be producing a 2ohm load on the headunit. Try it though, but if you hear distortion or the sound keeps fading in and out then let us know
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
monte_old _skol 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
yeah thats the problem when you parallel you reduce ohms and the head unit drains more power
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Wrenchmnky,
You will be all right running the tweeter of your headunit, but if you want to extend the life of your headunit you should get a small amplifier and run all your speakers and tweeters on it.
“Do I tap off my dash speaker wires? If so, do I need a crossover ect?”
Most tweeters in the market nowadays runs at 4 ohm and have a build in crossovers or it comes with one. And yes, you can just directly tap them into the “dash speaker wires”, but doing so will produce a 2ohm load on your head unit. If you were to play your music very loud for an extended period your headunit might overheat and can seriously be damage since most head unit are design to run at a 4 ohm load. From experience, I haven’t had a lot of problem running the tweeters of the factory system and some better brand headunit. However, I did run into a problem with a fairly inexpensive Sony headunit. As soon as I turn up the volume it would go into protection mode, so I had to remove the tweeter to get everything working back to normal again. Anyway, that’s my take on it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Tweeter help - Last Post -- posted image.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  

i dont know if the KDC can handle it, but i have  2 tweeters and 2 6 1/2 3-ways running off my front channels and 2 6 x 9 and 2 tweeters runnning off my rear channels of my pioneer deh-p6400.

knowing this, i see no reason why you could not do it on yours... 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic