the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2010 VW Tiguan, Wolfsburg, Gentex Mirror, Backup Camera - FYI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2012 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
For any VW people out there...I figured I'd post this to help anyone out there who might need the information...
Vehicle: 2010 VW Tiguan, Wolfsburg, 4 Motion
Install: Add Gentex Mirror (with 3.3" LCD built-in display) + Backup Camera
If anyone out there is like me, I didn't want to splurge the extra $2500-3000 for navigation and backup camera when purchasing the vehicle. I can use the navigation off my my phone and I figured the aftermarket camera + lcd would only be a lot cheaper than $3000. I was right, the mirror + camera ended up to be less than $500.
Mirror: <a name="http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors-rear-camera-display.html">mitocorp</a>
2010 VW Tiguan, Wolfsburg, Gentex Mirror, Backup Camera - FYI - Last Post -- posted image.
Camera: <a name="http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/555300355-Sony-CCD-HD-Special-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-backup-Camera-for-volkswagen-TIGUAN-TOUAREG-POLO-SANTANA-wholesalers.html">aliexpress</a>
2010 VW Tiguan, Wolfsburg, Gentex Mirror, Backup Camera - FYI - Last Post -- posted image.
When purchasing the mirror, make sure it comes with an audi/vw adapter, otherwise it won't fit. Finding the adapter by itself is difficult and will most likely need to be shipped from Europe.
Ok, now for the install.
Mirror Harness:
Switched Ignition (RED / blk): Grabbed a wire at the fuse box (behind coin cubby). Wire was blk / YELLOW (make sure you confirm with multi-meter).
Ground (blk/wh): Options are limited, but I found some bracing under the dash that worked fine.
Battery +12V (yellow): Not used. Only required for mirrors with homelink.
+ Trigger 1 (purple): Not used. Used other trigger below (either one works)
-12V to Camera (blk): Tie this to the (-) wire on the camera (most likely black)
+12V to camera (red): Tie this to the (+) wire on the camera (most likely red)
+ Trigger 2 (purple): Tie this to reverse lights (+) (blk/blue) in the back right storage compartment...use a relay...more on this below
Video Yellow RCA: Connect to the Yellow RCA on the camera.
** It's important that you only power the camera from the wires mentioned above on the mirror harness. Otherwise, the mirror will not recognize the camera and will not function... trust me...I tried to power it locally and it didn't work **
Camera (additional connections from those above):
Light (+) (red): Camera replaced one of the license plate lights so it came with a small led light built-in. This is the (+) connection for that led. Tie into the factory harness for the factory light that was there before.
Light (-) (blk): Camera replaced one of the license plate lights so it came with a small led light built-in. This is the (-) connection for that led. Tie into the factory harness for the factory light that was there before.
So more on the relay with the reverse lights...
After I [thought] I finished my install I started the car and realized the mirror was not picking up on the car being in reverse. This was strange because I tested it a million times during the install by turning on the ignition and shifting the car into reverse (but never running)...and that worked. I tested the wires one by one and everything checked out...the only variable was that in scenario 1, the car was running, and in scenario 2 the car had the ignition switched on, but not running. Come to find out... once he car was running, there was a small voltage drop in the reverse lights (counter-intuitive i know) that was preventing it from triggering the purple wire on the mirror harness. So, I added a relay under the dash and it works perfectly. Here is the relay wiring:
85: ground (-)
86: reverse light trigger (+)
30: (+)12V fused. Grabbed at fuse box.
87: to purple tigger on mirror harness.
87a: Not used.
A few general notes:
- The mirror is made by Gentex and very reputable. The camera is made by...who knows. The camera made for the Tiguan is tough to find, and if you do find it, it will most likely ship directly from China. Mine came from Hong Kong via air-mail. All the instructions and wiring diagrams were in Chinese and extremely generic. This was a crapshoot, but I lucked out.
- This install is a beast. The amount of trim I had to remove was insane. And these little German cars are put together VERY tightly. I seriously felt like I was going to rip the car in two half a dozen times.
- To properly route the wires you are maneuvering around airbags at every corner (3-4). Be very careful!
- Moral of the story here... this is not for the faint at heart. If you are willing to roll your sleeves up, play some German airbag roulette, and get an upper-body workout from ripping off trim...then go for it, but proceed with caution! If not, take it to a shop.
Here is the final camera and mirror pictures:
You can't tell from the pictures really, but the camera and mirror lcd quality is very high. I'm very satisfied with the result.
Hope this helps...
Let me know if you have any questions.
Dyer
uidyn 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2012 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic