icon

me choose a subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samuelsteven 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, Im in the market for a new sound system for my car, its a 2005 Cadillac STS. I've always been a JL audio fanatic, and I thought i had my mind set on 2 JL 13w7s with 2 HD1200.1 amps. But I've been doing research on other high end brands that I dont have any experience with, but have good reviews.
Now, I'm not rich, but money for a sound system isnt gonna break my bank, so lets keep the prices out of it, unless its really high.
Now, this is what Im looking at right now:
(2)13w7s with (2)HD1200.1s
(2) Sundown Zv3 15"s with ? amp
(2) Orion HCCA 15s with ? amp
Im mostly interested in these because they are available to me locally on craigslist and im able to make sure they are operating ok before I buy. I need help with their pros and cons.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
I would say the W7's will be the best HIGH SPL and SQ, the other 2 subwoofer choices will give you HIGH SPL, good SQ. But all choices are very good.
I can't hear you!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
The W7's are the best speakers on your list, by far.  Put them in a proper enclosure and you should have a great system.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
look at an RE audio XXX 12 before you go off buying those W7. i love W7's but they are just so expensive. diamond audio D6 is also a pretty nice sub for the money. dont buy anything from orion
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, need some more help.. I purchased a couple of 13w7s off of CL, they needed to be refoamed, the seller claimed that was all that was wrong, I new it was a risk, but I decided to take the risk anyways. The foam was all torn, I got them home and checked the cone to see if it was moving freely. Seems like it moves freely, but on the way down, it seems like the coil rubs a little bit. I'm thinking it may just be because of the surround being rotted. I checked the ohms on each coil, and they all read 1.5 or close to it. I went ahead and ordered the new foam kits for them.
Do you guys think they might still be blown? Or is the small amount of rubbing normal? I bought them at $110 each as they sat. I figured if they were bad, it wasn't too much to lose but if they were good, I gained a whole lot.
Also the seller also has 2 Zapco 1100M amps for sale, he says I can have them at $150 each since I bought the subs. He has birth facts on them and it was benched at 1240 watts at 4ohms, but i thought it was max power at 2 ohms on those amps. Does that mean about 1300 watts at 3 ohms? What do you guys think? Should I?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
It's possible the rubbing you felt was because the cones are not centered without a surround.  It could also be that they are blown, it's hard to say.  Do you have experience reforming surrounds?  As far as the Zapco amps, good brand, good price.
Support the12volt.com
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have never refoamed a sub before but I ordered the surrounds from simplyspeakers.com and they provide a hands on video and I've watched it 3 times, I've already got both cones and the sub basket cleaned free from all the old foam, ready to glue the new surround on. I'm very confident that I can do it with no worries.
As far as the Zapco amps, how would they pair up with the 13w7 and how much wattage would they supply ideally?
samuelsteven 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
A friend of mines is selling me 2 alpine PDX-1.1000 amps. They're like JL amps, they provide Max output at 2-4 ohms. Which is my best bet out of the 2 Zapco and 2 alpine?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic