icon

illuminated entry, parklights, and dome

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nismo88 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys, i have a 2010 kia koup with factory keyless entry. I'm doing a projector retrofit and im going to be putting a led strip in my headlights, what im hoping i can do is have my parklights and my leds stay illuminated for 10 seconds or so when i unlock my car. right now my parklights only flash evreytime i press unlock. and if i could do that with my dome lights also, would be very cool. im hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction, or if its even possible without messing up my turn signals.
thanks alot guys!
--Dylan
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Most keyless entry systems have illuminated entry or dome light control outputs. These typically illuminate the dome light for 30 seconds after pressing unlock. Using relays and hooking this to the parking lights or headlights, and even reverse lights would give you illuminated access outside the vehicle. Similar to new GM cars/trucks.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
nismo88 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2012 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
my dome light is strictly with the doors, not when unlocked
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2012 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

I suppose adding aftermarket keyless is the easiest way, since it would have the required timed output only when the keyless fob is pushed. However, I think you could accomplish the same thing using your door unlock motor wire as a signal, interupted by ignition (so pressing the interior unlock button while the key is on wouldnt activate the exterior lights).

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
yollasho 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2012 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
You could accomplish this with a time-delay relay.
The relay would need to be triggered by the unlock signal or maybe tied into the park lights that come on with the unlock (really have to see a wiring diagram). The time-delay relay could be used to turn on the dome light, and whatever other accessories you want on for a set time delay. You really need a wiring diagram so you can see where everything needs to go.
The time-delay relay could easily send voltage to other relays (headlights for example) and then it would turn off based on whatever time it's set for.
Good luck!
vinchinzo 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
I used to love hooking up leds to my car stereo
When in doubt....kick it!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic