icon

subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tegguy 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I ran into an issue with the building of my speaker box in that I am limited severely on height and it turns out I need to have the magnet sitting on the bottom of the floor of the box with the sub angled. Is there any issue with this affecting sound quality and if so how much? Basically my trim ring will now be the bottom of my subwoofer box due to my poor planning.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
The magnet will move due to frame flex and may cause a knocking sound.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
You need to stop, redesign your enclosure and start over.
Support the12volt.com
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2012 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
A little more info would be great if possible as to why the redesign is need?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

tegguy wrote:
DYohn wrote:
A little more info would be great if possible as to why the redesign is need?

Why?  Well you described a system where the woofer does not fit properly.  It'd be a mistake to use it.  You need to design the system to 1) fit the car and 2) fit the woofer.  Otherwise, why bother at all?

Support the12volt.com
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
I did redesign it and this is a solution I found thus why I am asking if it will effect the sound quality at all
DYohn 
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

tegguy wrote:
I did redesign it and this is a solution I found thus why I am asking if it will effect the sound quality at all

If the woofer is hard up against a baffle, yes it can effect sound quality, as mentioned already.

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Um why not just take a sander and take down the back of the box 1/8th of an inch or so, then the sub wont touch anymore.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
montythegreat 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
As long as you have the right volume in the box your sound quality won't suffer at all. A well built box is a well built box.
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:
Um why not just take a sander and take down the back of the box 1/8th of an inch or so, then the sub wont touch anymore.
worse comes to worse I'll do this. I am thinking I will be able to get the magnet off the box at least 1/2 inch. I am stumped on how I should finish the box though as far as what should be wood what should be fiberglass to get a good shape.
The sub position is no where near where it will be in the end. I think I need to round the outer edges. and either do a very short wood top (1/4 of the way) or just use fiberglass for everything. I also need to decrease my volume by putting in a middle box.
subwoofer box - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic