icon

viper 350 responder remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
az2008 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2012 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question about the remote for this alarm. I know trunk and hood are their own zones on this alarm. But, on the remote's LCD, does it display something unique for either zone? Or, just one indicator for both?
Thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
Read the owners manual.
az2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Read the owners manual.
I did. :) It seems to say a trunk image will appear if the hood is opened. But, it's not clear about this.
I know the hood and trunks are considered unique zones. And, the remote's little outline of a car has a hood segment. So... I was hoping someone who has the 350 Responder could give a definitive answer.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Nope, both will show up as the same, as the unit does not have two inputs for either zones, both are diode isolated onto the same input. basically because the unit is a one way system with a two way antenna and remote.
az2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
t&t tech wrote:
Nope, both will show up as the same, as the unit does not have two inputs for either zones,
Oops. You're right. I said earlier the hood and trunk had their own zones. When you said the above I went to look at the install manual. It says they share zone 1.
I've been reading different alarm manuals and must've confused myself.
Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.
I pretty much have my alarm choice down between Viper 350 Responder or Autopage 730. I like the 730's granularity of reporting more zones (hood, trunk separately). It has remote start which I won't use. I like it's "paging" feature. If you misplace your remote you can push a button in the car to make your remote play a melody (hopefully find it by listening for it).
But, part of me feels safe being part of the herd (sticking with the more mainstream Viper).
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
You should look into Encore for an alarm system. Better than both systems and with or without rs.
az2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
auto enhancers wrote:
You should look into Encore for an alarm system. Better than both systems and with or without rs.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of Encore. I agree, the E4 has pretty much what I want and can only find in the Autopage 730, but without all the remote start stuff that comes with the E4.
Probably the only downside is that the 730 remote is 3A, not the small watch battery like the E4. (I like being able to recharge my batteries instead of having to spend $7 for a couple watch batteries every 2-3 months.).
Encore's web site is a bit whacked. They did some visual stuff which consumes a lot of screen space for no reason. It says "style over substance" to me.
But, I'm going to look at it more. Maybe the biggest worry is that they're relatively new. Not an established record yet. But, for $130, it's not a huge investment either. Wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't work out.
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Having installed them for over a year and had one in my car that long I can tell you they are reliable. As for the batteries. I have an E9 in my car and only changed the batteries once. I can guarantee that there is a lot of substance there. I know everyone involved with the company and the fact that they are all dedicated to make a great product.
In the past year I have not had a single bad piece from Encore.
az2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks. I'll continue to weigh Encore against the Autopage 730. It's encouraging that your remote hasn't required frequent battery replacement.
I'm really nervous about the battery topic because I've read customer feedback on some Viper 2-way remotes which use watch batteries saying they have to replace the battery every couple months. The remotes with the built-in rechargeable battery sounds ok, but the battery isn't replaceable. (I've had rechargeable batteries go bad after a year or two. I don't want to spend $100 on a new remote that often. That's as bad as spending $5 every two months on watch batteries.).
To me, triple-A battery seems the safest. But, fewer alarms use that.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Technically it depends on the type of rechargeable battery, NiCads are a no-no, lithium batteries are fine and take any amount of abuse.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic