icon

power folding mirrors ls400

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
titchener 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Hi I just purchased a set of power folding mirrors for my lexus ls400 with the JDM switch included but i dont have a control module to control the opening and closing of the mirrors so i need to make up a relay to control there opening and closing.

The motors in the mirrors have two wires coming out of them and they work of reverse polarity. the button that came with the mirrors is a one press open one press closed design and has 4 wires coming out of the back of them.

i would like to know how to test what each of the wires at the back of the button do and i would also like to know how to wire up the mirrors so that when you put the key in the ignition the mirrors open at the same time as the steering wheel droping into position and of course closing when the key is removed but i would also like to have the function of the button working aswell .

From testing i have found that the mirrors keep turning if power is being constantly delivered to them so i will need some sort of timer to stop them moving after a certain point. i think i need to use a dpdt relay to control the mirrors when my key is put in the igntion but i dont know how to wire that up with the addition of the button and the timers so that the mirrors dont keep turning.

Sorry for being vague i dont have alot of experience with electronics can someone please help me out power folding mirrors ls400 - Last Post -- posted image.

phil

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Does the switch have a light in it? Seems odd that there are 4 wires unless there is a light in it, then it makes sense.
It sounds to me like the switch is designed to provide input to a control module and then the control module controls the mirrors. To do what you are trying to do will be difficult without that control module.
A simpler approach may be to just use the switch to drive two relays - one open and one close. You'll have to hold the button down to move the mirrors but it will still give you the ability to close the mirrors when needed.
I don't think I've ever seen a module built to control mirrors folding in and out automatically.
Kevin Pierson
titchener 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. No there's no light in the switch, the button has no feeling to it , it doesnt stay depressed once it has been pressed or feel any different just clicks and pops up again with the same feeling ( but that is how it should feel )

I would get a control module but they are very rare and i would have to get it from japan.

your simple approach sounds very sensible so if i was to hold it down they would fold and if i was to release and then press again it would unfold? how would i go about wiring it up like that with the mirrors unfolding with the key in the ignition? thank you so much for your help

I dont think i made sense in my earlier post saying about how the steering wheel drops. with the lexus when you touch your key on the ignition switch the steering wheel drops down into the position that you set it to before you turned it off and i would like the steering wheel to drop down along with the folding mirrors unfolding

Thanks

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
This method is fully automatic and doesn't even need the control button:- F3D_mirror_fold.bmp
titchener 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
So I could use that method to make them unfold and fold with the ignition? How would I be able to achieve that with a button aswell? Thanks for the advice really helpful
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ign, use that diagram and cut the loop on the "opening" 528t.
wire other trigger wire also to ignition as you turn off the key the mirrors will fold.
Use 2 x 1N4004 diodes.
I've made no provision for the fold button, you won't need it see revised diagram as ignition controlled:- 46B_mirror_fold.bmp
Use 2nd. ignition as trigger feed or ACC, i.e. no voltage on cranking (turn key to start).
juan maza 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  

On hondas aside from the control switch with the power folding mirrors there is a timed relay that accompanies it. This helps because the timing on opening an closing is perfect.Everything works moving a couple of wires around on the stock plug going into the mirror switch. I also connected the mirrors to the door locks and everytime I arm the vehicle the mirrors close and disarm the mirrors open. Of course I disabled the ignition controlled door lock/unlock feature on the Viper alarm that I dont like anyway. If no factory timed relay is available than the 528t is another option instead of two relays.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2012 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
Juan three points:-
I already mentioned 528t s in my diagram, actually two not one as you stated.
Second point, nearly every manufacturer wires their fold differently.
Some Mits use a pulsed POS (+) for each direction. On nearly all others, yes as you said the motor wires.
I personally love ign (or more exactly tach lock as per G series Clifford and Compustar) locks and there are plenty of ways to have both.
You could also pulse the 528t s from the ignition 1 as an example.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic