the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dodge magnum sql system build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

I was a home theater installation tech for 2 years(man I miss that job...except for the crawl spacesdodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.). I worked in million dollar beach homes and tried not to drewl on the carpet....anyway, I believe I know what zip ties you are talking about.

dodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.????

I used these all the time when i was in the HT biz, but I think ill be using these low pro cable ties (that I just found on PE while I was responding to this post) and sticky mounts

dodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

I believe the door enclosures will end up sealed for the reasons you stated...but it would be awesomedodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.......but not so "SQ" which IS what i'm going fordodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image..

I sure ain't gunna use the 22Ga speaker wire thats going to the stock speakers for anything....so yes I'll be running all new speaker wire, hopefully I have enough of the tributarries 14-2 left...I should considering the amps will be under the front seats making it a short run.

I should be able to use the seat bolts or the seat belt bolts for a good gound if I can just add a washer or 3 to keep the seat mounted square...I'll also see if I can bolt the ground to the frame anywhere under the seats...i'll have to see when I get the carpet out.

No center speaker in my car....its not even a 6 speaker dodge system its the 4 and the back passenger side is blown. Thankfully the car is so huge I cant hear it cracking from the drivers seat. Honestly I am impressed with the stock speakers bass output...they go pretty low for POS 6x9's but they have almost no highs.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm, it really helps to have someone that can question what I'm doing to make sure I'm confident with my decisions.

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
you did HT and i used to install security systems in homes and commercial buildings so i know exactly how bad crawl spaces can be, especially being in someones attic laying face down in insulation while its 130 degrees in the summer, just so you can fish a wire up a wall. but just like HT it teaches you some neat tricks that can be applied to cars too.
ive never been a huge fan of sticky mounts but i see nothing wrong with it i guess.
dont use a seat belt bolt for a ground, its not ideal and probably wont get you any points with the judges. if you have the space you should build a mini amp rack for each amp under the seat to make it look more professional.
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2012 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

After modeling both the Epic 10" and 12" I decided to look for another sub that could give me more in the below 30Hz range.

I found the Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Refrence sub. It seems to work well in larger enclosures so I had to change my plan of building the subs into the sides of the trunk and go exploring in the spare tire area. The bottom edge of the electrical tape is where the top o the stock flooring is. I am thinking of raising that to be level with the edge of the bins in the sides to give me more room. Ill fabricate the right side of the trunk to hold the stock battery and fuse box along with the HC2000 battery which will supply all aftermarket .that i install including the stereo and any lighting I do. that will give me enough room to put 1 15 in there sealed ordodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.......2 15's in there isobaric! dodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. i modeled the 15's in a sealed iso confiuration and the volume was 2.75ft3 so if, because its a sealed box and i believe I read +or- 25% volume has little impact, I increase the volume to 3-3.5ft3 then if what i have read about iso boxes is correct it should have the output of one 15 in a 6-7ft3 box! With this setup (550w rms to each 15 in the iso box) I believe i'll have the clean and loud output I want at 20Hz and from what ive read below 20Hz too. I'm imagineing myself rolling up to a light blasting organ music and counting how many drivers look like their experiencing an earthquake! lol Id like to buld a storage compartment in the shallower front part of the trunk for tools and possible the spare tire. That leave the drivers side of the trunk for the amp and whatever else I decide to put there like more storage. 

Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2012 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
sounds pretty complicated but i guess its as solid a plan as any. you should also benefit from some nice cabin gain being that this is a wagon but you will also have a lot of dynamat work to do, especially on that roof if you plan on having response at 20Hz and below because any panel flex at all will kill that response easily. ive never really done anything isobaric mainly because of the look of having the exposed back and wires and potential for damage if something gets into the basket structure. do you plan on glassing the box or are you using all wood for your box/floor? i would also mold the amps into the left panel
i think if done right your idea of having the batteries and fb relocated into the side could turn into a nice show piece. have you pulled the entire right panel to make sure you have enough space for both batteries and clearing the strut tower? i think a window would also be nice to show off the kinetic but hide the stock battery too and keep in mind that the stock battery is not sealed so it needs to stay straight up and down.
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m
Been busy with life and looking at other subs too.
I made a card board silhouette of the 15 HF and played around with its placement in the spare tire area only to decide that two of them was not going to happen in the area that I wanted to contain them in.
I have gone the only way to go....bigger! I'm looking at putting a single Dayton 18" HO mounted cone facing up or possibly slightly angled in the spare tire area in a sealed ~4-5ft3 box. The bbottom and four sides of the box will be 3/4" Mdf with some 2x4's for bracing. I will build an over-sized ring that will be securely mounted/braced to the rest of the box and fiberglass the rest with 8-10oz of FG.
I think I'll build a cover for it so I can still use the trunk. It will fold up and toward the front of the car, just like the trunk opens. I think this cover will also be the amp rack for the sub amp.
So the amp will also be protected when the cover is down. I'll make it so this cover locks into the up and down position so, when up it will contain any cargo I have further back in the trunk. The floor of the trunk beyond the sub box will become a small cargo area that I'll make lockable.
I agree that the batteries and potentially fuse blocks would look good through some plexi windows/access panels? Yes I have taken all of the panels out of the trunk to check for fitment of the batteries and see about running wires to the trunk lid for speakers...like another pair of my PPI355cs's FG'ed and on a switch and 4th amp so I can turn them off in I go to SQL meets.
Well looks like I have my work cut out for me this year...gotta get to bed to finish the work week...uhg...why do i participate in this ridiculous economy based on pieces of paper that say the government owes me x dollars worth of gold even though we aren't even basing it on gold or any resource we actually have anymore....good night lol
z03mz03m 
Posted: March 05, 2013 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

I took off my driver side door panel this weekend to see how I was going to install the Anarchy's in the door. I decided to install them free air and do a really good job of sealing the doors up because they are already well sealed and this would save me loads of work building fiberglass enclosures. So as you can see in the first picture the speakers where made specifically for a dodge magnum door panel lol. I will begin by cutting out the stock circular grill and make some speaker rings to mount in the holes. After the rings are mounted in the doors and aimed I will remove the map pocket part of the door panel for fiber-glassing. I will also reinforce the remaining lower door panel for strength and mounting the map pocket part back to the door panel.  The whole panel is assembled with melted plastic rivets so I can simply drill them out to remove the map pocket. I will be making FG tweeter pods for the NE19VTA-04's in the location marked next to the door handle. Finishing wise I am thinking the map pockets on all 4 doors and the tweeter pods will be black truck bed liner and I will custom make metal mesh grills for all 5 speakers and paint them silver like the rest of the interior trim or paint all them and the rest of the trim pieces in the car stainless steel. Almost forgot...the stock speakers are mounted to an angled plastic baffle with a water drip guard that I will FG to create a tunnel between the back of the anarchys and the metal door to seal them and mount them rigidly to the door. Also I will be making some sort of rigid panels to seal the typical holes in the metal door skin.

z03mz03m 
Posted: October 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m

Long time no post...

Yesterday I attempted to make a mold of the space between the door pannel and the door. I bought some Great Stuff large gap filling foam and filled half of a trash bag with it to sandwitch between the door and the door panel. I waited 5 hours for the foam to bake in the car with the sun warming it but upon removing the panel I noticed that I was handeling a bag of uncured foam dodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. Thanks to the ambigous directions on the can I didn't "ensure adaquate ventalation" to let the foam off gas and harden because it was in the trash bag. With that plan out the window I moved on to cleaning my shed to sooth my dissapointmentdodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.. Today I will break out my respirator and have a go at laying some chop mat on the doors to make a mounting flange for the Anarchy baffel and to fill the largest hole in the door panel. If it goes well then I'll be doing the driver side tomorrow before the teprature drops 20 degrees for the forseable futuredodge magnum sql system build - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image..

Pics of the fail:

Door panel off, stock weather barrior that is a brittle plastic that is not re-usable.

Weather barrior removed, the glue that held it on was excessivly strong compared to the barrior.

The stock sound deadener is identical to the roofing flashing that i get from the hardware store which means I will continue to use it.

Taped up the large holes making sure to form the tape into the recesses that I wanted to have captured in the foam. Also taped over pointy fasteners to prevent puncturing the bag and making a horrible mess.

Bag taped into position ready for me to poor $7 of not so Great Stuff into it and re-install the door panel.

z03mz03m 
Posted: October 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m
Hello everyone, I've sold the Mazda, quit my engineering job and went back to my job as a home electronics installation tech for a really good conpany.
So money has been tight ... I have been working on the stereo as much as I can without spending much for the past week. I have enough spare parts around to get it operating except for a relay(or high level to RCA converter) and the vifa titanium dome with silk surround tweeters. I'll order those tomorrow and continue the work.
Lots of pics to come.
z03mz03m 
Posted: December 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote z03mz03m
I sold the Magnum and stereo to a good friend and he has the Anarchy's rocking along with a pioneer 12 in sub. no tweeters as far as I know. I believe he installed a second battery too.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic