icon

subwoofer level problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nobody2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
There are 2 shaker systems. Mine which is the shaker 500...500 watt, 6 speaker system and then there is the shaker 1000...1000 watt, 10 speaker (I think) system. The shaker 1000 has the same subs in the door as mine but also has a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. I have the shaker 500 which has the subs in the door but does not have the subs in the trunk.
In the front doors you have the subwoofer which is a DVC 8" and you have a combo tweeter and mid range just above it which is 4 ohm 130w. you can see it here:
http://www./itm/05-06-07-09-FORD-MUSTANG-SHAKER-500-LEFT-DRIVER-LOWER-DOOR-SPEAKER-130W-QQ093-/150917978411?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item232369992b&vxp=mtr
and in the rear deck there are 2 6x9 speakers (don't know the specs).
Is there anyway to correct this cancelling out problem other then removing the EQ or changing the location of the door speakers?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
a highpass filter on your highs should help a lot. if you dont like the set points on the alpine then you need an amp or better eq that allows you to have a variable crossover setting. this way the speakers wont be trying to play the same notes as the subs. i would suggest setting it around 70Hz so you will still get a little bit of bass from the speakers but not enough to compete with the subs. if my theory is correct then this should help out a lot.
also, panel flex might be something else that i thought could be a problem because of having the sub and the mid in the door. with the added bass of having the speaker and sub playing the same notes it might be causing the door panel to vibrate. anything that vibrates in the car could be another source of wave cancellation. i know the door is supposed to be designed to handle it but over time things could have loosened a little allowing the panel to flex.
try to feel the door while its playing loud and make sure it doesnt vibrate that much. if it does vibrate a lot then maybe buy some "dynamat-like" sound deadener and roll it onto the metal door skin and the back of the door panel to stop the vibration.
that was just a thought but it could be part of the problem.
nobody2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
As far as the door vibrating I can tell you with out checking that the door not only vibrates but when I turn it up the door shakes enough that I can see my side mirror shake. And not just a little...it is very noticeable and clearly seen. I thought that was normal due to the subwoofer being in the door. Well it just goes to show ya that you learn something new everyday!! subwoofer level problem - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. I will go through the doors and check for anything that has loosened up and see if I can get it all nice and snug like it should be. Or that may just be the way the doors were designed, I love my Mustang but after all it is built by Ford which I think says it all. Ford has definitely improved quite a bit through the last few years but there are still a few little things that were badly designed in the typical Ford way. It's too bad the Boss has that pop/thump issue cause it does have a built in variable (or semi variable...has 3 settings) crossover which is I guess why it did sound better for the couple hours I had the subwoofers connected to it.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
just making sure you know i was talking about the interior door panel not the outside door skin. although in my opinion you can never have enough sound dampening, especially on doors. truthfully, im no expert on acoustics, i just figure that the panel flexing could be an issue although it might not have much effect on your overall problem. i just threw that out there as something to check on. maybe as a cheap experiment you can go buy some foam padding and install it between the door panel and the door to serve as a barrier between the two and also put some pressure on the door panel to keep it from vibrating so much.
nobody2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I understand. I certainly can try some form padding just to see. It certainly couldn't hurt. Thanks for your help.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic