the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

why to use proper r/s on manual trans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
I know this has been gone over quite a few times, but I still constantly hear "Oh, I never leave my car in gear, so I can install this automatic style remote start on my manual transmission vehicle". Well I'm one of those people that NEVER leave my car in gear unless I'm on a steep hill. So when I put my start in, I was going to take the easy way out and just install it in auto mode without the neutral safety switch connected (its a Subaru WRX STi with a factory NSS). But I 'talked' myself into doing it the right way and after this morning, I am REALLY glad I did.
As I said, I NEVER leave my car in gear, but last night my father had to borrow my car because he lost the headlights in his and was late for a meeting. He ended up bringing it back while I was out to dinner. Fast forward to this morning, I woke up for work and tried to start my car... nothing. Tried it again... nothing. Give it one more go for good measure... nothing (couldn't see the parking lights for shutdown diagnostics). So I scratched my head, gave up, and started getting ready. Well when I got into my car I found out why it didn't start... it was in gear. My dad had left it in gear when he dropped it back off. I decided to do a little test just to see what would have happened if it had started. So I started driving off without touching the steering wheel and let it go where it wanted. Well it went straight for my neighbors house. So had I not installed the starter correctly, even though I never leave the car in gear, I would have been in quite a lot of trouble with quite a lot of damage to pay for... and the possibility of someone's death on my conscience had my neighbor been anywhere near where the car would have hit.
I'm sure most people won't care about my little story, but if it helps just one person decide to not cut a corner and install a proper remote starter on their car correctly, then my little story was worth it.
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well said, Kenny.  Safety should always come first.  Taking a short cut, whether it's using T-Taps, omitting hood pins or jumpering the clutch interlock switch is always a bad idea.  I usually get a little nervous answering questions on manual transmission installs because I'm not always comfortable with the OP's dedication to do the job right.
Soldering is fun!
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I hear ya there. its a good thing you did it the right way. I have had people who want to pay me alot more to just put one in and I wont due it. I dont want to be held accountable and everyone gets all butt hurt about it. Keep doing it the right way and make sure you dont give everyone/urself a bad rep.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
A great story! Thanks. And 2 good replies.   
I too am so happy that you did it the right way - it's the unexpected exceptions that highlight why certain safeguards exist. (And IMO, adapting "unsuitable" devices but implementing them correctly for personal use (only) is ok. I mention personal use in case others might later rewire the device "according to the book" and hence remove the adapted safety workarounds.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
X 2 with all the posts.
Signs of customers telling lies:-
I never leave it in gear.R/S
I never leave the key in the car...wants passive arm and lock.
How's it going ( a real tooth grinder that one)... hurry up.
Go and get me...to the customer Go away and leave me alone.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
What - no "cheque in the mail"? Oh yeah, you guys are probably wise enough for cash...
Geez I love the wisdom and stories on the12volt! why to use proper r/s on manual trans - Last Post -- posted image. why to use proper r/s on manual trans - Last Post -- posted image.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,419
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Good story Kenny glad to hear you did it the right way. A couple of years ago I was wishing I had done the same. I had an auto starter in my standard f150 for 8 years no issues I was the sole driver. I let my friend borrow the truck he dropped it outside my work. Not thinking when I was leaving I hit the button the truck took off missed the wall of the building when through a garage door hit a car lift and pulled it out of the ground that's what finally stopped the truck. Lucky no one was hurt I was the last one in the building. The person that was in that bay left about 10 mins before this happened next day I ripped the starter out and from then on I refuse to install in a manual car. Expensive lesson learned.
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Been a while since I posted on here, but I have a thing for Subaru's.
Kenny, if you had installed it in Automatic mode, and hooked up the factory neutral sensing wire at the car's ECU then you would have been just fine too. I'm on my 3rd WRX now and have done it that way every time. I have also done another 15 or so WRX's/STi's that way as well.
I can trick a normal "Manual" remote starter into starting in gear. Set the system in reservation mode with the window down. Reach in and push the shifter in gear. Remote start and what happens? The car launches down the road.
You can leave my car (2011 WRX) in gear and attempt to remote start all day long. It won't do anything except flash the parking lights a few times.
Both systems/methods can potentially fail. The Neutral switch in the car's transmission could fail. One of the door triggers on the car could fail and the remote start won't know a door was opened and someone put the car in gear. The software in the remote start could have a bug and remote start bypassing the safety procedures. Nothing is guaranteed. I'll take my chances with an OEM switch, and periodic testing any time. Plus...nobody drives my car. My friend's all drive automatics ;)
For the other 95%+ of the cars out there without a neutral wire, a Manual remote start is the way to go. I had one in my Acura RSX a few years ago.   -- John
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
X2 with Mr. Worm I had a UK built Nissan manual with the OEM NSS.
Wonderful. One failed gearbox later, no NSS.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I wasn't completely clear in my post. On my subaru, that is exactly what I did. I connected the ECU NSS to the hood pin since it was the opposite of the NSS input of the starter (ground when in gear). But anything else i use the manual reservation mode. I also test it at least once every couple weeks to ensure the NSS hasn't failed and is leaving me unprotected.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic