icon

subwoofer not working in cold weather

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neil001 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've had a 2012 Sonata 2.0T Limited since April of this year, the cold weather is coming in nowadays (I live in Ottawa, Ontario) and I've noticed in the morning (6:30am -- averaging -6 celsius) on my way to work there is absolutely zero bass in my car. My commute to work is only 10 minutes and I'm not back in the car again until 4pm when the temperature is back up to around 6-10 celsius and the sound is fine. Now, I'm by no means an expert in the audio field, but this doesn't make sense to me. I've never had this problem in any other car before. Can someone explain to me what's going on? I'd like to know because in Ottawa our winters can get down to -35c and stay there for days on end, and I'd like my sound back please.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have noticed that some of the "newer" style subs freeze up in the cold, the surrounds are no longer soft enough to alow much movement, once they warm up they work again. Other possablility is you are exeriencing the ture meaning of cold solder joint keeping signal from commingout
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
are we talking about a factory sub woofer or an aftermarket setup? actually it could be a few things because in theory cold circuits present a higher resistance to electricity than warm circuits. so by having a freezing sub woofer and a freezing amp you could in fact have less bass because a cold amp should give you less power than a warm amp and a cold sub woofer will draw less power from the amp causing the amp to stay cold for a longer amount of time. depending on how powerful the amp is and how the sub is wired to the amp, you might be losing enough power from the cold to make an audible difference.
BUT, you should still have some bass unless the amp components are just literally frozen beyond their operational range, and im not even sure if that is possible in a normal environment.
also, it could just be your ears playing tricks on you because cold air is more dense and that might have an effect on how you actually hear the bass from the sub. all of these factors could be coming together to mess with you.
i have also seen cheap subwoofers literally frozen from the cold and have seen the cones crack in half from being made brittle by the cold.
neil001 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2012 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I am talking about a factory sub, with all factory everything. I had two 12" Alpine Type R's with an Alpine MRP-M1000 with Infinity speakers wired to an Alpine MRP-F300 with Stinger interconnects and an Odyssey battery in my old Buick and never had any of these problems, but decided I was not going to transplant it into the new car. Until now.. I'm getting wizzed with the factory setup. I gotta find someone in Ottawa to throw my components in the new ride ASAP. It's getting colder as the days go on up here!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic