the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

compustar slice remote range issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
A few weeks ago I installed a Compustar 6200s with the new SLICE remote (RF2W940SS) into a 2012 WRX Sedan. The customer is saying that his range is maxing out at 300ft (measured). At first I thought it was the window tint so I told him to try the remote in different areas of the window and when he found a spot that fixed the range I could re-mount it (he lives an hour away so I didn't want to make him keeping coming back and forth to try different locations). He ended up outlining the remote and cutting the tint away in that area because he liked the antenna tucked up by the mirror... and he says that still hasn't fixed the range at all. I've done 2 other SLICE remotes (2012 WRX Hatch and my 2004 WRX STi) and both of these have amazing range. I can start my car from well over 1000ft away through my work (factory floor with LOTS of heavy machinery to block the signal).
Any ideas? I know the obvious check the connections, etc. but I wasn't sure if anyone had any specific ideas from what they have experienced. I may end up swapping out the antenna from my car into his since I know it is a good antenna but I don't want to do it and have it still not work...
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Just have him recode the remote real quick and see if it helps. Do it a couple times and check it. If not I'd be with you on the antenna
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
at my shop i would check the ant wire, look for any cuts or folds. it can be pinched when putting the piller back. if thats not it,,try a new ant. also look to see if its passing a major power wire. that could cut the signal down.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
I completely removed the pillar to put the antenna in so I know it's not pinched (well, 99% sure). I may swap my own personal antenna in there to see if it is better (and also to try his in my car where I know the location is ok).
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Does this problem happen everywhere or just at one location, say next to a fire station or an airfield with powerful radar?
You know why I'm asking don't you Kenny?
offroadzj 
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well I fixed the priority unlocking (apparently there is an option to turn it off when programming the Blade, but you also have to change the "force unlock all" option in the advanced features). I also checked the antenna wire and it was fine so I took the antenna out of my car and swapped it with the one from his. Then he went to the mall while I worked on his mom's 2012 Outback. When he came back to pick up the Outback, he said that the range was drastically better. He was able to start the car from inside the mall without an issue. So I'll find out tomorrow (when I try to use mine with the antenna that wasn't working right) if it was the antenna or if the plug just wasn't 100% tight.
On a side note, I found out that the new Subaru's disable the door locks only when the key is physically in the ignition. I was trying to get the ignition locks to work (RPM locks) and I couldn't get them working. So I decided to try using the remote with the car running off the key and it wouldn't work. But the locks work perfectly fine when the vehicle is remote started so it must be something with the keysense. He wasn't too concerned about it, but for future knowledge, anyone know how to get around this?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Compustar has the best "brains" but their remotes sometimes suck. I have had issues with antennas. The most recent issue that comes to mind is the 9000SST Remote. When they first came out they sucked!! The antennas had problems and the buttons were too weak. Usually weak range is due to the antenna.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
offroadzj 
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'll know for sure tomorrow. I'm wondering if maybe it just wasn't fully inserted. Either way, I'd rather have my customer happy and my own starter not quite working right while I order a replacement... lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
let us know what fixes it. My guess is antenna

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic