icon

2010 fusion remote start climate control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rauenpc2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2012 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Today I installed a viper 5704 with ADS AL CA bypass in a 2010 fusion. The install went fine and rs worked great as well as lock, unlock, trunk, and triggers. I was even able to disarm factory security without issue.
Afterwards, while driving I realized that the car was only blowing cold air even though it was set to hot and ac was off. All buttons on the climate control acted as if they were working, but I couldn't get heat nor could I change vent position (windshield, floor, main, main & floor, etc).
I checked fuses, and unplugged the two connectors I had disconnected at the sjb and plugged them back in. At that point I got heat and vent position control back so i figured just a less-than-perfect connection, but now I can't change temperature. The car either blows hot air or cold air, but you can't change back and forth. If I shut the car off, change temp from hot to cold or vice versa and restart the car, it immediately changes but won't change back until the car is turned off and restarted.
I don't see how the remote starter could have done this, but maybe I'm wrong.
My other unknown is whether this issue existed prior to the install. I Wisconsin there usually 3 scenarios... The car is frozen and we turn on the heat, the car is hot and we turn on the ac, or it's a crazy perfect day that doesn't require any temperature change. The thing is, there's very little need to ever change your mind and decide that you need the opposite temp within the same drive so this issue could very well have been going on for a long time unnoticed. Climate control is not a normal thing for me to test before an install so I have no idea if this was an issue before.
A a quick test, I disconnected the rs and experienced the same issue.
Is this a coincidence, or have I done something wrong?
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2012 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Far too many people perform installations of remote starters and other devices in their cars and shortly after realize something isn't working properly. And the first thing that comes to their mind is "it might be what I just installed causing it". Same mentality most dealers and mechanics have.
Usually the cause is installer error (such as not testing and using the correct wires, something left unplugged or a wire nicked while installing the device), and not the device itself.
I suggest unplugging the negative terminal on the battery for at least 10 minutes, confirm all connections are back where they are supposed to be (and tight) and then connect the battery and try again.
Speaking from experience, I can't think of anything that would cause the climate control to not work correctly on a Fusion after installing
a remote starter. The ALCA module only controls bypass functions and the rest of the remote start connections are simple and straightforward on that car (i know, i've done a few).
rauenpc2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2012 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Got it figured out today.
After searching through some Ford forums, I came across one that had posted an online chat conversation that someone had with some sort of Ford support. It explained that if the car or climate control were to lose power (disconnected battery or fuse), that it goes through a self calibration process upon the first start of the vehicle. If any of the climate controls are changed during that period the calibration will likely fail.
To recalibrate, I removed fuse #15(10A) from the SJB. This is second from the bottom, first column on the left. The owner's manual has this fuse marked as "Climate Control". Let the car sit for a minute or two. In the mean time, set the fan speed to the lowest, and center the temperature wheel. Replace the fuse, start the car, and wait a minimum of 3 minutes without doing anything - don't change climate controls, shift gears... just let it sit running. After the 3 minutes passed, everything was back to normal. I could change vent position, change temp from hot to cold and back again.
I'm guessing that when I first started the car after hooking up the battery the fan was probably blowing in my face so I quick changed the dials without a thought and messed up the calibration process.
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info ! i will remember this!!
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
Good Info, Thanks!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic