icon

multiple tach signal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, i cant remember how to connect mutiple coils to a tach signal on a remote start. its been quite along time since i have had to do this. this is a snowmobile application with two coils, it will work fine from one coil until it idlesdown, then the tach signal is too low to register. i figure if i can connect both coils it should be sufficient. can anyone post a diagram?
expandable sound
south of boston
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2012 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
No diagram should be needed just diode isolate each coil tap to the tach input, bands toward the tach input of the remote start.
xscash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2012 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

really, for some reason i remember a cap going to ground also in the circuit....wow, i really cant remember. maybe your right and im thinking of somthing else. been too long! LOL!!

Thanks for the response.

expandable sound
south of boston
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
What system are you installing that is having this issue?
If you warm the sled up good first then preform the tach learn it should learn the lower rpm and you shouldn't have to wire the second coil, if its a 2-cycle twin cylinder, it should more or less have the same rpm output of a 4-stroke 4 cylinder. Either way the tach set point is what you set at the time of programming the tach is not a pre set rpm range on most of the newer uints on the market.
xscash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

thanks lurch,

im using a code alarm 1 button....4053 i think, on a 2stroke twin. the main problem is the sled when warm idles down 200rpm.....this is just under the threshold for tach learn. i really didnt want to raise the idle, im trying tachless with issues also. the voltahe increase is not significant enough to be in "high" mode and in low, the change is undetected if it doest start. i am now using hybrid with crank only but again in severe cold it has issues. ill keep at it though.

XS

expandable sound
south of boston
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Better off using just one coil. Diode-OR's twin coils could have points overlap etc.
Besides, since a 2-stroke sparks twice as often as a 4-stroke (ignoring bank firing etc)...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic