icon

how can you pump a prius

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, that is obvious. That's the same old solution that is generally used, and I'm quite familiar with that.   
And that's fine for those that want to add the extra weight of extra batteries plus one or 2 alternators assuming they can make them fit.
But why do that when the Prius comes standard with a 10kW generator? Etc etc.
As to dangerous, IMO it is as dangerous as having a car with lethal battery voltages.   The tap would only be made once iaw standard "HV" DC practices.
And the dc-dc converter would be much smaller not having to convert 350A. In fact a simple chopper is probably all that is required - no 350A chokes etc, just a PWM and a $3 MOSFET.
And you won't have the issues of AGM thermal runaway and their more common replacement. (I consider thermal runaway alone reasonably hazardous.)
In summary, far less modification, far less weight (100kg lighter?), higher efficiency, and less maintenance.
I'd bet the HV solution has been used. IMO it would disappointing if they simply engineered a "standard" solution. It's just too inefficient and costly for a concept like the Prius.
It might even be the first of the "split systems" that will come for 12V vehicles.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Why go to all that trouble? It's 12V gear that's in use so it needs powered by a 12V system. The only other option would be using 240V pro amps, which would require an inefficient AC inverter... no, just using a 12V system is all that's needed. The only special challenge in a Prius or any hybrid or electric vehicle is installing a 12V source capable of handling the load. Just like in any other car, really. how can you pump a prius - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I didn't realise the Prius could run a 4kW audio system without reasonable modification.
Nor did I realise it was the 12V system that was being utilised (hence the OP).
The system I describe is mere addition.
But inverters???
The chopper would be set to whatever dc the chosen amplifier requires.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic