icon

1997 explorer jbl system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
hello all. long time since i've been on but knew this was the place to find the right info. i just bought a 1997 5.0 AWD Explorer and it is equipped with the JBL sound system. the cd changer is toast and i'm installing my alpine 9855 headunit but apparently it's been a while since i've worked on one of these. i've been out of installing for a few years so i can't really remember much about the older JBL systems. my question is what wires do i need for the speakers? it has the standard ford power plug in the dash but the other plug has been hacked up so i need to hard wire it. the wiring at the amp in the passenger rear quarter panel has been jacked around with also so i mainly just need speaker wire colors and any other info that would be helpful on this dinosaur. thanks!!
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
nice explorer! do you need the speaker wire colors at the amp or signal wires at the radio? i think you would do better bypassing the amp. does that explorer have tweeter pods in the front or any extra speakers other than the main door speakers and factory sub?
     Battery GREEN/ VIOLET (+) RADIO HARNESS
     Accessory YELLOW/BLACK (+) RADIO HARNESS
     Ground BLACK/ LIGHT GREEN (-) RADIO HARNESS
     Illumination LIGHT BLUE/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
     Power Antenna ORANGE / BLUE (+) RADIO HARNESS
     LF Speaker (+) ORANGE / LIGHT GREEN
     LF Speaker (-) LIGHT BLUE/WHITE
     RF Speaker (+) WHITE/ LIGHT GREEN
     RF Speaker (-) DARK GREEN/ ORANGE
     LR Speaker (+) GRAY/LIGHT BLUE
     LR Speaker (-) TAN / YELLOW
     RR Speaker (+) ORANGE / RED
     RR Speaker (-) BROWN / PINK
that is all i could find with my resources, and ill warn you to test your wires because i just had to hard wire a 2000 f350 and i noticed a few discrepancies but over all it was correct. these colors are also not specific to the JBL system, they are the standard wire colors so you might have extra wires at the amp depending on the system layout.
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think bypassing would be best. I'd like to keep the factory sub amp working though. The sub was shot so I put an old alpine type-r in it to see if the amp worked and it sounds really good. It has the 5x7 frames with a driver and tweeter mounted in them. I have a harness in my collection of parts from installing that was for a taurus I think. If I remember right, I can use that to run to the rear to bypass. Thanks for the info!!
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
no, that harness for a Taurus is specifically for a Taurus/Sable and that is it. those are very specific parts. trust me, if it was that easy to just bypass that amp then they would make a long harness for your explorer too. they make an integration harness to keep your factory amp but if you want to bypass it then you will have to do it the hard way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic