icon

led’s in retrofit heat problems?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kazp3rr 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, this may have been touched on for different reasons here or there, but I haven't found an answer that I'm confident suits my application.
I'm retrofitting projectors into my trailblazer headlights (big shout out to the guys over at retrofitsource for the awesome products and customer service)
and made my own shroud led creation led’s in retrofit heat problems? - Last Post -- posted image.
it's common knowledge that head and led's down play well together, what I'm wondering is if having the led's off while the heat is present will be beneficial or not?
I really don't have an estimate of HOW hot the temp is gonna be where the led's are, as this is custom build. I convered them in blue rvt and then metallic tape (reflecting away from the led's) to hopefully block as much heat as possible...but I don't know if it's going to be enough.
would a NC relay between the power source and the led's, with headlight signal being the trigger be the simplest way of disabling them automatically when the headlights came on?
Thanks a ton
and if you're still out there Old Spark...I FINALLY finished! led’s in retrofit heat problems? - Last Post -- posted image.
2015 f150 xlt
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yay for the finish! You are a better man than I - I have merely started more things! (Well I did finish a few, but as to my old starts... Maybe I should name change to oldStart? - especially since I Am An Idiot still won't give me his!)
I'm not sure what you mean by the heat, and that head(s) and led's down play well together, but AFAIK LEDs are fairly heat tolerant - especially in headlights where they get external air rather than engine-bay heat.
That assumes that high-power LEDs such as the ones you are probably using have their required heatsink to remove the heat that the LEDs generate, and LED headlights have heatsinks dimensioned for typical ambient temperatures (I'd assume else hope for 50C at least) and that should include when stationary (ie, no "driving" air, though they could have fans) and allow for some engine-bay heat and for mounting within restricted circulation headlight shells etc.
But yes, the NC contact 87a in an SPDT relay would be a suitable disabling - eg, coil+ 86 to IGN +12V and coil- 85 "grounded" thru the beam circuit's switched +12V or the beam relay switched +12V output or the blubs themselves (with diodes to join hi & low to 85 if the LEDs are to be off for both beams).
kazp3rr 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
well they're bi-xenon...so the signal stays constant for hi or low...but I get what you mean lol
this is where the led's are...and the shroud covers the projector, which get's quite hot
led’s in retrofit heat problems? - Last Post -- posted image.
a lot of guys have reported their led's dying, presumably because of the heat? idk (btw, it was a type in the op...supposed to be *heat and led's don't play well together* sorry
and there isn't a heat sink for these led's, they all seperate component led's that were taped/glued/siliconed &told not to move
led’s in retrofit heat problems? - Last Post -- posted image.
so I'm still a bit fuzzy if turning them off when the hid's are on will effect it or not?
2015 f150 xlt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic