icon

hid brands

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2013 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone recommend a decent (not the MOST expensive) brand of HID conversion kit in reference to a 9004 type headlight.
2004 Hyundai Sonata
Kenwood KDC-X599 HU
2-Sundown X-18D4
2-SQ Q4500.1
2-SQ Q90.4
1-Massive DBX4
8-Niche 5.25 mids
8-Niche Tweeters
4-Skar 8" mid-bass
OhioGen 220a alt
OhioGen 350a alt
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2013 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

sooooo, nobody has a brand name recommendation?

I see alot out there and also some comments from people (on Amazon anyway) about undersize wiring and various crap.

So what brands do I want to stay AWAY from or better yet, what brands are good?

2004 Hyundai Sonata
Kenwood KDC-X599 HU
2-Sundown X-18D4
2-SQ Q4500.1
2-SQ Q90.4
1-Massive DBX4
8-Niche 5.25 mids
8-Niche Tweeters
4-Skar 8" mid-bass
OhioGen 220a alt
OhioGen 350a alt
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2013 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Years ago we looked into selling HID lights. At that time we could not find any that were reliable enough to sell. By the number of phone calls I get from people looking for replacement bulbs, I would have to guess that there are still a lot of unreliable units out there.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2013 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
And people like me are hanging out for LEDs for reasons including legalities, superior performance, and simplicity.
distantxtremes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2013 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
We sell HID lights for about 13 years and there a very few good HID. Instead of concentrating on "Brand" look for HID systems made by these manufacturers:
Ballasts: Hyluxtek, Cnlight
Bulbs: Cnlight (Ball capsule is the best), Taichange
Never use DC output ballast they are very unreliable and the colors hardly match up.
OEM HID is always better and HID Projector Retrofits are also suggested but are always more.
For a less expensive HID Kit I would be careful with fakes and poor quality.
I hate to say this as cliche as it is, but you get what you pay for.
As far as LED, they now make in limited supply a 1900 Lumen LED bulb with driver, so you get bright LED headlights (not as bright as HID, but as bright as halogen) We carry these for many shops also.
I am not on here to sell any of my products but to offer information to shops that want to offer to their customers a good quality HID system so they don't come back with problems.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2013 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the AC ballast info.
I assumed they were DC. Interesting. The associated question is impact on life ie, longer, shorter or no change? (That was occasionally an issue for other lights. AC meant higher peak voltage for the same RMS power/lighting as DC, hence faster damage. Not that that necessarily determined choice - sometimes performance is the issue, as it should be for headlights given a reasonable life.) )
The LED lights I saw were 3500 lumen (55W) and IMO were a better white than HIDs, and much brighter. But that was a landed wholesale sample for AUD$350 (Australia).
I was worried your replay was going to be spam. I apologise - and I see no links etc.
But the info IMO is superb. I'm glad it is not spam-deletable. (Besides, with good info, we'll find where you are. If people provide good info and knowledge to anonymous readers, then their customers should be reaping more.) [Yep, marketing is subtle these days - much to the dismay of genuine helpers LOL.]
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2013 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Best quality hids. Never had any issues is spencershids.com
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

distantxtremes wrote:
OEM HID is always better and HID Projector Retrofits are also suggested but are always more.

I agree.  I am working on a retrofit right now.  It helps a lot.  I went with all Morimoto, for projectors, and HID's. 

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
distantxtremes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Not a bad choice we sell those as well. FX-R projectors are better performers for the best bang for the buck if you have the room. The 6.0 Morimotos are great for a simple retro - congratulations on the retro!
We build retros for locals and have for many years and highly recommend them over kits if the customer is willing to spend the extra money.
flaming-shadows 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard that Sportiva are good. They are AC ballasts. I personally have the Morimotos. They are DC. However, I have NEVER had a problem with them of any kind. The color matches perfect. I have the 6000K. They are TRUE PURE white. I have had many people comment on my lights of how bright they are on road and head on. I have them in my low beam and fog lights. I don't recommend putting them in your high beam IF you have separate low and high beams. This way if they ever go out for any reason, you can just turn on your high beams and still be able to drive. You might blind some people, but at least you will be able to see. I'm not saying the Morimotos are bad to contradict what I said about them before. But it is man-made technology and can fail just as the "unsinkable" Titanic sank. I ordered mine from here: www.theretrofitsource.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic