pairing smartstart to viper 5902?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiophyle_247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Viper 5902, works great.
I just installed the VSM50BT Bluetooth Smartstart system & it paired to my phone without issue.
My issue now is the Smartstart module will not communicate with the alarm, and there is nothing in the manuals other than pairing to the phones. My valet button on the control center still allows me to enter programming options,but now neither of my Viper remotes work. Even with the remotes set to pair & the alarm set to programming mode, none of the remotes or the smartstart will program.
DEI Tech Support told me I have to go to a dealer, that its something "only authorized dealers can do". Regardless of my past with DEI and all of the authorized installs I have done in the last 10+ years.
This shifty business has left a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, and to think all these years I supported this company.
Can anyone here enlighten me on this "secret" programming?
Unless it raises the hair on the back of your neck, its only noise!
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
I figured it out, no thanks to DEI tech support.
The smartstartBT module would not communicate with the alarm when the RF learning type is set to off (flex out), but it would program to the alarm when set to "supercode", and with that my other remotes began working again.
I assumed the flex out was for digital interfacing with the alarm, but instead it just wanted an RF signal? Anyone know what the flex out is for? The bluetooth is not operating as a 2way system though, it does confirm if the signal was recieved from the phone, but if I lock it with a door open the phone does not confirm that a door is open like the 2way remote does. Oh well, atleast they are all working now. lol
Artstar 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
It does make sense that it requires the RF. What you need to consider is that it is the first device after the receiver/antenna/Command Center. Therefore, it is definitely wanting an RF signal in order to operate the Viper from your remote control. Setting it to SuperCode, since that's what your Viper uses for its RF communications, is the logical solution to it.
Nice find though. It's a shame DEI treated you in that manner but I guess that's their idea of quality control of all their installations, in order to avoid any bad press about their product due to a poor installation. Not justifying it, just calling it for what it is.
Good thing we have this forum to help us out with our documentation needs!
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
My thought was because the control center & alarm communicate through the cable, and the control center & remotes communicate via RF signals, that the signal through the cable was digital & the RF decoding was done in the antenna/control center.
According to the instructions the super code RF setting is for another brand of alarm, where the BT module would be replicating an RF signal.
I cannot find anywhere where the "flex out" RF option is used, but if anything assumed it would be for the 5902/5901 series control centers. The cellular Smartstart doesn't even use the antenna port so the flex out can't be for that.
Wish I still had access to the directech forums, lol.
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  
audiophyle_247 wrote:
My thought was because the control center & alarm communicate through the cable, and the control center & remotes communicate via RF signals, that the signal through the cable was digital & the RF decoding was done in the antenna/control center.
Without knowing the circuit topology intimately, I'd say that the antenna is merely the RF receiver, spitting out the digital information but the actual decoding is handled by the microprocessor in the alarm unit itself. As a design engineer, that's how I would do it.
[QUOTE]According to the instructions the super code RF setting is for another brand of alarm, where the BT module would be replicating an RF signal. [/QUOTE]
Another brand? Reading through the installation manual, I see it states "Directed new generation receiver technology" for the SuperCode option. The Viper is a Directed Electronics product and it is their latest generation so I don't see how that could be suggesting another brand of alarm.
[QUOTE]The cellular Smartstart doesn't even use the antenna port so the flex out can't be for that. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, I must admit I'm a little perplexed as to why the BT module connects differently to the cellular version.
[QUOTE]Wish I still had access to the directech forums, lol.[/QUOTE]
So do I. I'd be coming to you for answers to MY questions about my 5904 and the DB-ALL in my Japanese model G37! :)
Artstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
So much for my multiple quoting skills. :P
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
The programming instructions for the RF settings give 4 options,
1. Off (Flex output)
2. Keeloq
3. Supercode
4. Astro
The reason I didnt think to set it to supercode was I figured the flex out was ideal for this system being an HD 2way system (same thing as your 5904), but also on the next page it lists to use option 3 (supercode) with various Autostart alarms & Prostart alarms. Its also unclear, but there is a "model list" column and under the supercode option it says "1W 2btn RS" which I believe deciphers to 1way 2button Remote Start.
There are two "model list"s that say "2W LED/LCD RS/Combo" but the RF type is shown as either an "HDR FM" or "LDR FM" and the instructions claim those two options are for autostart systems only. I may try either of these options just to see, I am a little bummed that the BT module only communicates 1 way with the alarm. Maybe if its set to one of the 2way options it will work as such? Fingers crossed. lol
EDIT: Tried every combination of RF setting I could & the 1way Supercode is the only one that would program as a remote. I guess its either my bulky HD remote with all the bells & whistles or the BT on my Iphone with no bells & whistles. lol
krisl713 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Please explain how you got the bluetooth to talk to the alarm. i have all this installed and my smartphone will talk to BT module and will recevie back the notification comand excepted. but the alarm does nothing. all my remotes work fine? and i went into programming under option 8, then option 3 for super code.

i just am lost any help would be great

braddk 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hi again
thanks for the supercode option now my remotes work again but I cant get my iphone to do anything. I can se the transponder gets the signal but nothing happens
Any idea what im doing wrong or what I should do
audiophyle_247 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
You have to pair the smartstart module to the alarm just like a remote, so put the alarm into pairing mode.
While the alarm is waiting to learn a new remote, THEN go through the BT module's programming sequence and set it to the supercode option.
As soon as you set it to supercode the alarm will beep indicating it has learned a new remote.
Then you can pair the phone to the BT module (if you havent already).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic