icon

customers and the funny things they say

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
I just got told by a regular customer, he thinks it is going to get so hot this summer that the streets are going to turn into lava.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well let's hope they don't move at around 300 mph.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Now is that a coincidence? Yesterday I got a Lava lamp from my local Op Shop (broken bulb and no top cover). I've wanted one since way before my age hit double digits.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Customer came by and was asking why his Class D amp was getting hot and shutting off. We determined that he had 2 drivers of the Dual Voice Coil configuration. I then asked if they were dual 2 or dual 4 ohm? He replied, man they be Mo-Jo's. But he could not understand what I was asking. After several more times of me trying to figure out what he had, he stated "Man I know a LOT about Music, I just do not know anything about them Ohms you keep asking me about.
Turns out, just as I suspected he had dual 2 ohm drivers and his 1 ohm amp did not like the 1/2 ohm load.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Just enjoyed that last one.........good lord.................customers i tell u.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
That Darren is why I stick to fleet work.
But I still had a Fiesta a couple of months ago, "since you fitted the tracker my lights come on with the ignition"
"RTFM".
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Craig, I just saw your facebook post with Bluetooth pairing instructions.
My Android phone is bluetooth linked to the MKI 9200 Parrot in the car, Panasonic link-to -cell landline AND my laptop.
What don't these people understand apart from an inability to RTFM.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
IMO a disappointing story & not so much funny, but that's from my "close" POV...
A neighbor with a Jeep. Weeks ago we determined his battery was stuffed. I got a replacement from my supplier.
I was very surprised to find the alternator was charging fine - 14.2V at idle with lights etc.
But before and twice since he's had problems with the OEM dash voltmeter not registering and the engine check light being on.
The last time he ignored it until after 3 days he was stuck a our local shops unable to crank and was towed home.
Though he had booked a new alternator with his mechanic, I said how it's probably a bad connection and unlikely to be internal to the alternator.
The next day the battery had self-recovered enough to start the vehicle (its power-eye was back to green).
I cleaned the signal terminals behind the Nippon Denso alternator; a harness interconnector, the 2 MAXI alternator and other 7.5A fuses. I said how that was very likely to have fixed the problems ie, IMO 90-95% of electrical problems being bad connections else fuses (as I had previously demonstrated with his bother's various car issues) and that internal alternator intermittents are very unlikely and rare). We knew his Jeep had various intermittents - eg, his need to kick the centre console to get his indicators to flash.
Yesterday I spoke to that neighbor. Despite NOT having problems since my clean, he decided to have the alternator replaced at a mere cost of $340 less $80 for the fanbelt which was also replaced.
The mechanic tested the alternator and it was fine but said "it will go out" (IMO as happens with all such devices!). So on the basis that the problem had happened twice the owner decided to have the alternator replaced. That's despite the problem NOT occurring since my work, and his understanding even if it did happen, he'd have a few days running on the battery reserve and he'd be warned by the dash voltmeter and check-engine light.
My frustration is that IMO 2 days of his wages (a full week of my income) is a lot to pay for a non-critical fix with IMO less than a 5% chance of occurrence.
But it does serve to limit my enthusiasm and sense of urgency for his future problems and again emphasise that not all people are IMO as keen to save money, else lack the logic that I expect.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
About 15 years ago I did alarms for this car audio place.
Guy comes in with a 92 Maxima.
"Since you installed the stereo, I've had this amber light on my dash it won't go away and the Nissan dealer says you've done something wrong"
Having owned a couple I thought I'd stick my nose in and went and had a look.
I sat in the car turned on the ignition and flicked off the overdrive switch on the gear shifter.
No further comment.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Had a customer ask me this today as i was removing the h/u from his two door ek3 civic to replace. Randomly he says "do u work for the ministry of social welfare?"..........i calmly said no.
Couple minutes later he says, " did i just ask u if you work for the ministry of social welfare?"
go figure.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic