icon

connecting siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cking2600 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2013 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I currently have a Clifford Avantguard 4 installed in my 1995 Mustang. I got this installed about 12 years ago. It came with a smart siren. A few months later, the siren went bad and started going off. So, i just removed the siren from the vehicle.
I am now wanting to put another siren on the car. I bought a DEI 515R a few years back, and am getting around to install it. I am not sure on how to connect it. I have looked through the owners manual for the alarm and it shows 4 wires going to the smart siren. Red and Black from the 24 pin connector and Green and Yellow from the data port connector. Now, the 515R has 4 wires, but only 3 should be used. Red (12v), Black (Ground), Violet (+ output of brain), and Green (- output of brain).
I assume I connect Red to Red and Black to Black but what do I used for the trigger? I have looked for info on the data port but can't find any.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
quark kent 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
If I am wrong maybe someone else will chime in but from my memory those Clifford Avantguards did not actually use a "siren"..but a "speaker". Meaning if you need to replace that speaker you can't just stick in it's place a 515R or any DEI siren. In other words a siren has the circuitry built into it to produce the siren tones being fed 12v DC...a speaker is just a speaker so with the Clifford you are using the circutry for the siren tones is built into the brain of the system. So what could be happening is the output of your Clifford brain is an AC siren analog audio tone, and the DEI siren you are trying to replace it with it is looking for 12V DC + and -.
I can not explain to you what "nothing" is in a scientific way. What makes matters worse is you won't notice it when you finally have the opportunity to experience it.
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully this guide may help you. There is a yellow wire for optional air horns. It's a negative 2-amp output trigger that you might be able to connect to the green input wire of the 515R siren. I don't know for sure, but that yellow wire might stay active when the alarm is triggered. It's programmable for constant or pulsed output.
Clifford AvantGuard 4 IG
quark kent 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ah yes that diagram helped. I would program that output (according to the prog diagram that is for an aux siren) for constant output and connect the green wire of the 515r to that. Red to constant, black to ground and don't use the violet. The reason it can also be programed for pulsed is if you use airhorns which can burn out if set for constant. Since it is a siren constant out will work fine. It should only have output when the alarm is triggered not just when it is armed. I am not sure however if you will have audible arm/disarm chirps on that output but you will find out soon enough.
I can not explain to you what "nothing" is in a scientific way. What makes matters worse is you won't notice it when you finally have the opportunity to experience it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic