icon

fill small hole in inner door skin?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
los panda 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
i drilled a small hole several millimeters away from my target. the hole is for mounting the mdf spacer to hold my speaker.
so now what should have been 1 clean hole now looks something like a "figure 8". i'm worried that the bolt may have room to move around and may not as secure as possible.
if i use fiberglass resin/paste to fill this hole, will i be able to drill it and use it to mount the mdf spacer as intended? or is there a better solution?
thanks for your help,
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
is it an actual bolt or a screw? if its a bolt then i would use a washer to keep the bolt from pulling on the hole as much and then use some loc-tite on the threads to make sure the nut cant back off.
los panda 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
is it an actual bolt or a screw? if its a bolt then i would use a washer to keep the bolt from pulling on the hole as much and then use some loc-tite on the threads to make sure the nut cant back off.
bolt, i used bolt/washer/nut to replace the original pop rivets i drilled out.
i guess that calms my concern, it shouldn't go anywhere when everything is fastened, right?
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
you can always weld the hole that was drilled in error
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
los panda 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not really set up to do that, but i was thinking that would be the best solution. was (wishfully) thinking the fiberglass paste may have sufficed.
like sns mentioned, i may be alright w my bolt/washer/nut. if not, i'll start looking into welding.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
as long as the bolt is tight and you can use loc-tite or a lock washer to keep it from backing off with vibrations you should be fine. there should be other screws or bolts too, not just that single bolt right? if it becomes a problem then just drill a new spot somewhere close and start over because they dont have to be spaced perfectly even from each other.
if you are worried about having the hole not filled, you can use masking tape to make some support behind the hole and fill the hole with epoxy and keep it smooth until it cures enough to keep its shape. bondo or other types of body filler will break loose eventually and fiberglass is just going to the extreme for no reason. once the epoxy fully cures you can drill it again if you want.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic