icon

starts itself, can't shut off compustar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steve45 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I purchased a 2006 Buick Terraza that had a Compustar installed. (remote is a 2W9000FMR)
Twice I have found the engine running without commanding it to. First time was last week, second was last night. What is really scary, is the fact I could not shut the engine off. Pressing brake, shifting gears, even opening the hood had no effect. The first time I used the other remote button to stop it. Last night that did not work, so I removed fuel pump fuse. Then I removed a couple relays to feel better. Any ideas before I attempt to remove the buggar?
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
First question is does there seem to be any pattern??? every couple hours??? after using the blinkers??? turning on heated seats??? etc.
Nothing happens on its own. There has to be some sort of a trigger, be it an outside signal like your neighbors ham radio or something. The unit could also be trapped in some sort of timer mode too. Make sure the brake light illuminate after the brake pedal is pressed because a remote start should always disengage with the brake pedal.
With all that being said, disable as soon as possible!!!
there can be only one.......
steve45 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
No pattern. First time was last Tuesday 10/7. Last night 10/16. Both times it was sitting parked. The only common thing is I was the last one to use the remote shortly before the incident. (to lock it)
BTW, we never have been able to start the car with either remote since purchase. Only use fob's to lock/unlock the car.
We are ~950 miles from home presently, at home I live rural, so no neighbor interference.
This morning I will open up the bottom of the dash and try to unplug it. This will also give me a chance to find out what model is out there.
Thanks for your reply.
Steve
steve45 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Just removed the module it's a CM4200DX
Steve
tbjoe 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Now that you are under the dash, remove any fuses that are going to that brain...if you haven't already. When you get back home, if you are near St. Cloud, I can have a look at it for you.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Can you see where the unit is grounded to? It could be a faulty ground causing all of your issues.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
steve45 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tip regarding a bad ground. When I get back home I will check it. Much easier to do on the hoist!
For now the brain will make the trip in the back of the van.
Steve
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
where are you located in MN. I know some great techs in that state and most deal with Compustar. I would be happy to get you their info so you can contact them when you return.
steve45 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I'm just south of Lakeville. Elko-New Market area.
Steve

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic