icon

chevrolet red/white 12v no power or start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atish 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
I was doing a alarm on a 06 Malibu and I have a 10 Colorado I was doing a remote start alarm on. At some point I lose 12v on the RED / white like I have blown a fuse but I have double checked all even the inline ones close to the battery wrapped in loom and tape. Maybe there are some other sets of those in between the red power wire and the RED / white.
I know that for remote starts and maybe alarms also, the RED / white wire on the wiring diagrams gives 12v but at some point I lose it and the ablility to start the car. On the Malibu I still have some accessory the radio and gauges still work. It first happended on the Colorado and I had already ran a 12v from the battery to the remote start. I used the RED / white 12v for the bypass only and that is when I lost power to the vehicle. I jumped the 12v I had already ran to the red white and everything has been normal ever since. I didn't hook up the bypass for the remote start but I plan on it tonight.
This has happened to me twice on both Chevys and I cant figure out what causes it and how to fix it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I kinda stumped, glad I got it running but I would rather get 12v back to the original red white without jumping it.
Thank you in advance you electronic gurus!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2013 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Need more info.
The RED / White on what?
It would also help to list what alarm and remote starter you are asking about. Make/Model
Did they work properly in the past? Or have they worked at all?
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
atish 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2013 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
The RED / white in the ignition harness. It is in the same 4 pin connectors as the wires for the bypass. Ignition, 12v, and 2 other wires.    
I have used multiple different remote starts and alarm that are brand new and work on other vehicles. Maybe I should check on a chevy forum but you guys are way smarter and always have better knowledge.
Thank you for the feedback I greatly appreciate it.
atish 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2013 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
I used a xk06 and a skytek alarm and remote start. Everything works fine if I have it running off the 12v I ran from the battery but if I don't use the wire I ran and use the RED / white the car wont start.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2013 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
The RED / white at the ignition switch is low voltage/amperage and would not be sufficient to power up all the internal relays on a combo unit. It would be sufficient if u were doing a 1 button start only but for combos you need to use a heavier hot or direct to battery
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2013 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
the RED / white wire at the ignition switch is only capable of handling 2A. The fuse is in the BCM located below the right side dash near the blower motor. It is the one shown as ignition sensor. Remote start constant 12V must be obtained from battery for late model GM vehicles, especially the ones with only one 12V wire and no starter wire.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2013 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
I agree mostly with Jim Hunter and 91stt, but I've always been able to find constant power inside the car somewhere.
If it has electric power steering, there'll be a big constant wire at the electric motor attached to the steering column.
Also, in the driver's kick panel (where you probably went for locks and trunk already), there should be a few thick wires in that bundle---at least one of them is constant power.
And then, as the other guys said, replace the 2 amp fuse in the interior fuse box (on the side of the center console close to the passenger's left foot), and then get your constant for your remote starter from somewhere else.
atish 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2013 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Jim, 91stt, and Chris for taking the time to help me out. If it matters the wire is white with a red stripe next to WHITE/ blue stripe, WHITE/ green stripe, WHITE/ yellow stripe, WHITE/ black stripe.
I now understand why that wire does not give enough amps, however I ran a wire directly to the battery for the remote start. I just used that 12 volts for the bypass now thinking I should have used the wire I ran from the battery.
I looked and found the bcm in the passengers kick panel with two large harnesses and one small one. One of the two large harnesses gave me my door trigger wire. I took the harnesses off and took the bcm apart to find a fuse, and could not. looked just like a motherboard. Plugged back in and now headlights don't work only brights...kinda weird. Im pretty sure it had to do with unplugging the bcm harness, checked the pins on the bcm and headlight fuse.
The only fuse box I have been able to locate is under the hood in my 2010 Colorado. The white with red stripe wire that had 12v is in a larger harness under the steering column and that is the wire that probably has a fuse but I cant find. I looked in the passenger floorboard and did find the bcm but no fuses.
Still stumped and now the headlights don't work only bright and cant turn the brights on and off ( I think just since I unplugged the bcm tonight)
Again any input or ideas on where a possible fuse box or fuse would be besides the large under the hood one. Im not giving up some how some way that wire need 12v besides my jumped wire from the battery.
Thank you all planning on making a donation to 12v, you guys have been so helpful so many times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic