icon

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe w/Monsoon, Replace Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigcountrygirl 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2013 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
This is my first post & I apologize if this is a repeat. I have a 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe with a Monsoon system. I am trying to replace the factory radio with a Pioneer double din. My problem is the wiring harness. I have been given information that it needs an interface, but I am confused on which one I need or if I really need it. Any suggestions would help. Thank you.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
i cant find anywhere that your car needs a special adapter but i also cant find your version with the monsoon system either. it seems that it uses a chevy/GM adapter and anything GM usually needs at least a special intergation harness so that you dont lose some functions of the vehicle.
so all i can say is that you might have to do a little hands on research to find out if you need anything special or just a regular harness.
THESE are the wire colors you should find at the back of the radio if you pull it out. if you have a digital multi meter on hand you can test the wires to verify that it is correct. test for constant power on the RED / black wire and test for power when the key is on on the blue/black wire.
if those check out like they should then switch the meter to read ohms and check to make sure the speaker wire pairs are the same as in the information.
if everything as far as power and speaker wires check out then you should be able to buy a normal wire harness.
if anything is not testing like it should be testing and you know that all of the equipment works then that means you might have to find a special adapter or possibly just bypass the factory amp all together instead of trying to integrate with it.
something else that would help is to post some pictures of the plugs on the back of the radio to help someone hatch your plug to the right adapter.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
If it uses the Metra 70-2003 harness, and it has no sound, the amplifier turn on wire is in the wrong place. I had to reconnect the factory radio and probe the wires till I found the amp turn on wire. You will have to connect the radio's remote wire to the turn on wire of the vehicle. The wire was located very near the constant wire.
bigcountrygirl 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have already replaced the stock speakers with a/m memphis speakers. I believe the harness is the 70-2003. I am also installing a sub amp. I thought you could just turn on the factory amp & everything would be ok. I was told I had to use a 4 channel line out converter & that is what I didn't really understand. Then another person told me I would need a GM interface, but I didn't know if that was correct or which one.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
You may need to use a line out converter to "tone" down the signal of the factory amp or if you get noise through the high level connections. I would follow Sound and Idiots advice first however and add the converter later if needed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic