icon

newer bmw e90 remote starts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Now that the remote start system is easier on the newer BMW's I would like to point out a quick tip/and or known issue these vehicles may have (3 series mainly).
First, this has nothing to do with the remote start system. It is more of a precaution for my fellow installers.
Remember the BMW I did a while back? Well I got a call about the vehicle losing power and not turning on. Like any responsible shop we decided to go to inspect the vehicle. We checked out the vehicle and for some miracle it was able to turn back on. What was it? Well, these vehicles have a known issue in which there is a faulty power cable that connects from the battery to the fuse box located behind the glove box!!!!
Here is a link I found and luckily the customer trusted me enough to help him find this issue.
www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=555916&d
Luckily we have google and were able to search out the symptoms the customer's car was having. Good Luck to All.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
enice - THANKS - that's good info. (Not that I deal with BMWs, but you never know. Besides, it highlights how OEM's can get it wrong, and what the effects are.)
I like how the repair is a complete replacement - not just a patch up of the effected area - viz they replace the ENTIRE cable (and fuse box).
I can only guess that the problem is a substandard cable to terminal connection which results in heat. Because that anneals the copper cable (as well as degrading its insulation), the whole cable is replaced.
At least the resulting problem is a loss of power. Usually that situation means fire!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic