icon

pulsed to steady cap values?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ace_boy2099 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking of building a pulsed to steady relay configuration for some future lights (LEDs) on my truck but I wanted to find out if anyone knows of some kind of chart or something that tells how long a capacitor will hold a charge for a regular bosch style 30/40amp relay?
Intentions: Run 2 strips of LEDs down each side of my truck by the door sill steps (Entry Foot lighting), 1-White 1-Yellow. I'm not too sure of functions yet, I may have the white as a DRL/Marker light& Entry Light and the yellow as a turn signal, but I may just make the white entry only and the yellow as a turn signal.
TIA,
Ace_boy2099
edit: Also what voltage capacitors would I need? 16v 25v 35v etc?? is using the 35 just extra insurance or would that mess something up?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
a 10,000 microfarad cap is pictured in the diagram. It will convert a blinker signal into a steady. You will not hurt anything using the 35 volt capacitor.
ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I take it the uF number is the microfarad number? or is that a scaled number?
So there wouldn't be any difference between the 16v and 35v capacitors used on a vehicle's 12v system, good to know thanks.
How long of a charge would that 10,000 cap hold (how long)? how long would a 4.7, 470, 1000 hold?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would stay away from a 16v device. A 4700 mic cap will not hold long enough to be functional. But if you want to find out, purchase 2 4700 mic devices, try with only one and then parallel the second one to make it work.
ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
ok then, next question (Sorry I have so many), Where would I find a 10000uF cap of 25+Volts, The only thing I can find on a google search is from Jameco which is a 10000uF axial 16V 20%(and it's radial Counter-part I'd rather axial I though I think), Other than that all I can find is the 4700uF or smaller in the same (16V) and higher voltages; That is aside from one listing on eBay for 2-10000uF 25V Nippon Capacitors for $7.95+2.25 Shipping.
also, Which way do the arrows on the capacitor point? to the positive or to the negative like a current flow?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
The negative terminal will be marked.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic