icon

alarm ignition cut off relay issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wiker man 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone. I need some help setting up a cut off relay. I was working on an simple keypad ignition off setup which works with a 12V ignition powered wire and a ground wire, which powers it and upon entering a code it provides 12V for xx amount of time to a relay which closes 30 and 87. Thus allowing the starter to crank.
I wired it, tested it and the keypad works fine and turns the relay on and off however now that I wired the relay AFTER the car alarms immobilizer relay, the car is cranking up / starts without having to enter the keypad code. meaning the relay I put after the alarms immobilizer relay doesn't need to be feed 12V to be armed by the keypad! Is this due to some kind of polarization? should I have put the relay powered by the keypad BEFORE the car alarms relay?
Longer story:
So while under the dash I discovered by accident the ignition cut off relay (immobilizer) of my alarm (audiovox ASP35CL) was wired to constant 12V source. The immobilizer relay was hot which leads me to believe it was always armed with the alarm and probably was reason for my battery to go flat after a week of not using the car.
Upon looking up some subjects on the12volt forums like this one (https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~126899~PN~1) I saw that the cut off relay should be wired to a "Ignition on" wire, otherwise it will dran the battery. So I decided to rewire the relay power to ignition poweRED / accessory wire. My alarm used to chrip one when locking, but now it chrips 3 times when locking.
wiker man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
okay problem solved.
what happened was I tested the relay I was using and the one for the keypad was a negative(?) relay which had its 30 and 87 terminals closed when there was no power. swaped it with a regular 40 amp relay and the keypad works fine now. :D. also the alarm chripped 3 times due to the hood being not properly closed. lol.
now I have another problem. my keypad is wired to turn on with the acc of the car and so when the engine cranks the acc turns off. thus I need a power source which will stay on even when cranking the engine. I thought of wiring it to the constant 12V but then I would probably drain the battery.
any other solutions.
wiker man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I got that one too. I wired it to the yellow acc wire which I think stays on when the engine starts and it ignition powered (on when the key is in #2 and further position) so that keeps my keypad on while I enter the code, which turns on the relay and it stays on while I crank the engine. :)
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic