icon

hid headlights causing hvac problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gnx438 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
I am new to the forum. I am having problems with my HID lights causing problems heater and AC. I have a 1990 Olds 98 Touring Sedan with the Electronic Climate Control System. The heat works just fine with the lights off but when you turn on the headlights the heater control starts acting up, the display starts flashing on and off and giving me error codes . When I check the HVAC diagnostic codes it is giving me (AT) Ambient Temperature Sensor errors. I checked the wiring diagrams and it looks as though the AT sensor and right side headlights use the same ground. If I unplug that headlights the HVAC works fine, plug it in and it starts acting up again. I tried moving the headlight grounds and it still acts up. Is there a way to isolate the headlight ground from the HVAC grounds to eliminate the problem.
Thanks
Mark
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2014 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
The HID grounds for the controller, and ballasts, should be wired right to the battery negative terminal. The other ground and power come from the headlamp's harness, and stay...
gnx438 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Powerslave, I will do that this weekend. I finally found the boxs the lights came in. I purchased the HID lights from one of my Jobbers and I really can't find much info on the company. They are LUMINOUS 8000K The Ballasts are LBALLAST AC35 SLIM. The part number for the basllast is 3BB2GCMH13.... The bulb part number is 9004/9007HLANPAU133.

Thanks Again..

Mark

powerslave 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
I have a HID kit I am installing into an '06 H2 SUT. IT comes with a controller, and two ballasts. It only has one headlamp harness to plug one of the headlamp plugs into the controller though.
So, the fused 30AMP RED goes to the battery (+), ALL grounds to the battery (-). All that is left are the three wires at the headlamp plug, and that plugs into the harness to the controller. The controller is operated by the headlamp switch and high-beam switch, three wires; HI/LO/GROUND and they are isolated from the main power and grounds the controller and ballasts use.
When in doubt, ALL grounds to the (-) battery terminal, or to a chassis ground post.
powerslave 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
How did this turn out?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic