icon

remote start in a 1973 corvette

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bestfit1970 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ok this is a difficult question to ask, with the newer cars you only need to turn the key to the start position once and release and the car will start automatically. With the older cars you need to turn the key to the start position and hold it until it starts. Am I going to have trouble installing my Avital 5303 remote start alarm? Or will the alarm continue to crank the engine until it starts?
bvp
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Remote starters are not recommended for cars without fuel injection for this reason. Once you program the tach, the remote starter will know when the engine is running. If it doesn't start the first time, it will try again, up to 3 times. You can adjust how long the starter wire is live, but I think the max is 4 seconds. The problem with this is, if the car starts, it can grind the starter.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
bestfit1970 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks 4 seconds I think I can tune the car to start within 4 seconds. My second question is won't the tach tell the alarm it is running thus preventing starter grind?
bvp
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
The tach wire helps but doesn't prevent. DEI products are usually pretty good about detecting whether an engine is firing or not, but I just wanted to let you know the risk associated with it. I would test the start feature multiple times before trying it unattended.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
bestfit1970 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Got it thanks for your help.
bvp
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
if you have to pump the gas for the engine to start after the car has been sitting for a while then installing the remote start unit will be a waste of time because it has no way of giving the car gas during remote start. it will work fine if the car has been running within about 30 minutes of you remote starting it but it will be unreliable when you want it the most
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
to pump the gas just once for setting the choke and priming. a 528t and a lock solenoid or stop idle solenoid (? )was what i used and then either the "pulse factory disarm" or the "wait to start" (cant remember which) in conjuction with the "-" when remote started wire. and a relay or two.
did it on a 1980 z28 once. worked great. can remember at the moment all the deatals and i gotta run for no. but thats the stuff i used.
was a long time ago.
some RS units can tell if the car is running by a jump in voltage as the alt starts charging
gotta go..
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
bestfit1970 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok great thanks guys. I now have new avenues to go down. I'm on the fence I was looking at EFI units and at $3,000 its a big price tag to pay just for remote start. itsyuk I like your solution I will definately look into it. Thanks.
bvp
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2014 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Just a heads up you can also if available on your remote start, hook up an aux channel and then have that trigger a relay to trigger your gas pumping solenoid. That way you control it remotely exactly how you would as if you were in the car. Just be careful that all the mechanical linkages are hooked up and working freely. Don't need the engine to grenade on ya! remote start in a 1973 corvette - Last Post -- posted image.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic