icon

amplifier will not turn on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thedudeabides80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all, I've ran into a bit of a problem with an install. I installed a pioneer head unit,2 rear 6x9 speakers and an amplifier in a 1994 oldsmobile cutlass supreme.
However the amplifier will not turn on and I have tried everything I know how. Ive been installing for about 12 years and have not ran into this situation before.
The amplifier is a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 four channel. I ran new 8 guage power wire with a 60 amp inline fuse. 8 gauge ground wire and the rca cables had the remote wire built in and its connected of coarse to the blue and white wire from the head unit.
I have tested the remote wire and am getting power from it. Same as with the amp power wire. I slso used the remote wire since I knew it was getting power and used my multimeter and touched the ground I'm using for the amp and I got a positive reading so Im sure the ground is ok as well.
I do have the power antennae for the car and the amp remote wire ran off of the remote lead on the head unit, never have really dealt with a power antennae before so hopefully thats not an idiot move.
Anyone have any clue as to why this wouldnt turn on?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
It's defective? Try another AMP...
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
What was your positive reading. Measure across the amp ground terminal and both power in and trigger in. They should read battery voltage ( 12 volts or higher). Check speaker wires aren't grounded (use meter). Make sure speakers aren't shorted. They should read 4ohms across terminals. Check RCA cables aren't shorted to ground or from center pin to shield. Make sure they have continuity end to end. Check RCA output from radio has audio. The amp may be in protection mode if there is a wiring issue.
sparky
thedudeabides80 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2014 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks sparkie Ill give that a check when I can get back to it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic