icon

used car with remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sidewinder4x4 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
catback...you are correct in your comprehension of the issue. The original 4103 is still installed in the SUV. I have no clue how old the original 4103 is, but I do know the new 4103 came with the quick reference guide. We purchased the new kit solely for the two remotes and switch alone. If the new 4103 would be a easier and better option, please advise. Just be aware that we currently don't have any programming devices at all, but are willing to buy them if needed.
I'm sure someone could decipher the date codes on the devices, but the only sticker on the DEI box has "12F" printed on it.
I don't have a complete picture of the DB-All sticker, but the following is printed on it Lot: 1100, SW: 3.03, and HW: 3.55. There is a Dt.: 12...but the rest is covered up
Thanks again everyone!
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Have you browsed the dball install guide for this vehicle yet? It can be found at xpresskit.com if you haven't, it lays out wiring, connections, programming, and troubleshooting for the dball as applied to this vehicle. As mentioned prior with the latest firmware and install guide wiring could be different but odds of drastic change are low. It wouldn't hurt to check the wires against the guide, see what you got and don't have. Even check in to where it connects in the vehicle to make sure things look right.
Unless you decide to flash new firmware into the dball you have everything you need to program both the 4103 and the dball.
As flobee4 said you have to make sure to put the D2D port into D2D mode whether with the old method or the new method (whichever works) otherwise the 4103 and dball won't talk to each other over D2D (assuming that's how they are wired to each other).
Google is your friend for "detailed" install guides for the 4103 old and new.
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I have downloaded and looked at the DB-All guide and the 4103 manuals (Owner's Manual and Install Manual). Honestly though, I really didn't get it at first about what should and shouldn't be connected and which box did what exactly. It appears that the 4103 can do some of the same things that the DB-All can do...like control the door locks. On top of all of that, I was confused as to why half of the wires on the 4103 were not connected to anything. Then the DB-All LED's didn't do anything unless you disconnected the power.   
Regardless, I'm starting to understand more about it with everyone's help. I think I mentioned it earlier, this is the first time I've ever dealt with a remote start. Not only that, I'm doing it on someone else's car, that I don't have access to but every couple of weeks. Kind of stinks that I have this list of things to check or try, but I can't in a timely fashion.
I do appreciate everyone's help, advice, and patience, because I intend to get this thing functional.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
Does it snow in winter there? I'd say that would be the time to have it working by.
Good your equipped with the manuals so you can refer to them and/or stare at them and assimilate them.
Odds are decent that everything is wired up appropriately and flobee4 is on track with the D2D port on the 4103 just needing to be put in D2D mode. Again assuming the dball is wired to the 4103 via D2D which you can tell by utilizing the manuals.
Anyway, good times doing diagnostic work a bit at a time every couple weeks. It'd drive some puzzle solvers mad.
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Good news everyone...The remote start is now working. I cant say for certain if the 4103 was in D2D or BitWriter mode originally, but I know it's in D2D mode now per the install manual. Awesome!
Oddly enough, it still wouldn't start the SUV, but the DB-All was showing a solid red LED, which after consulting the install guide, indicated it was ready for programming. After programming it as stated, two presses of the start button and the SUV cranked right up and started running without the key in the ignition.
The only thing left to figure out is how to make the lock/unlock buttons work. When I press the lock or unlock button, nothing happens, except the LED on the DB-All flashes green one or twice. The manual states it should flash orange. I'm thinking this might be where we have to update the firmware, because after looking at the update history for the "NISS1HT" DB-All I found the following changes listed with the v3.07 being the most interesting:
v3.10 - updated cores
v3.09 - fixed brake sensing
v3.08 - fixed brake sensing
v3.07 fixed OEM lock/unlock sense
v3.04 fixed door sense
v3.03 updated to new core, new bypass
Per the label on the DB-All that is installed in the SUV, it has v3.03 firmware, which would mean that the lock/unlock might not work properly. I know the installer could've updated it at some point, but I have no way to tell at the moment.
I tried verifying feature 6 (Door Lock Control on Data) on the DB-All, but I never could get to feature 6. I could only change to feature 1, 2, and 3 no matter how many times I pushed the programming button as indicated in the "Feature Programming" section. I cant seem to find the install manual for the older firmware versions, could these features have been added in the newer firmwares, hence the reason I only seem to have features 1, 2, and 3?
Am I on the right track this time? Is there something else I need to check?
Thanks again for everyones great advice and help!
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2014 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I'd say your on the right track. It's feasible that the system was never setup to control the locks when it was originally installed.
sidewinder4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2014 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Not so good news this time. Nothing works now after flashing the firmware from v3.03 to v3.11. I checked the option settings before I started and every option was checked and the door locks were set to the correct mode...Type 2. After flashing to the newest v3.11 firmware, the door locks still don't work and now I cant get the DB-All to reprogram to the key to allow the remote start to work. I tried both a "Module Reset" and a "Hard Reset" without any luck.
I know someone mentioned earlier to check the wire connections if I decided to flash, but I couldn't imagine at that time why flashing the firmware would change wiring connections. It seems totally unnecessary and backwards thinking if you ask me.
Does anyone know how to flash back to the original version of 3.03?
Does anyone have access to the original DB-All install guide for the v3.03 firmware so that I have something to compare the wiring connections to?
The error light code sequence I'm getting is x1 red flash & x1 Orange flash, which indicates "Yellow/Black did not detect the expected signal. Refer to the wiring diagram to make the right connections." After looking to see if this wire was connected, I found it was not. Upon further inspection, it appears the wire color coming out of the red wiring harness on the DB-All doesn't match up with the DB-All guide I downloaded. The newest guide shows the "Yellow/Black" wire is in pin 10. On our wire harness, it's in pin 8 and the "ORANGE / Black" is in pin 10. I even looked at the NATS ignition connector switch as indicated in the manual and found no extra add-on wires connected to it.
Between the Blue and Red wiring harness on the DB-All, the only wires I have connected are as follows:
Tan
Tan/Black
Yellow/Red
ORANGE / Red
Per the install guide, I should have 9 wire connected to something. Do you think the original installer never completed the install? Could this be why the door locks don't work?
Thanks!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2014 at 4:54 AM / IP Logged  

The reason I mentioned / warned about possible wiring changes with firmware updates is because I have seen that

happen occasionally with iDatalink bypass modules.  I do not use DB-ALL series modules, so I am not familiar with
their procedures to use older versions of firmware.  It is possible with iDatalink products so it might be possible with
DB-ALL's, too.  Unfortunately you might have to be a registered dealer to get information and access.

You could go by the new Install Guide for the V3.11 firmware and just make all the connections/changes exactly as listed. 

This might not be a lot of re-wiring or too difficult if the DB-ALL's connectors haven't been de-pinned.  There might have
been good reasons and improvements for the firmware and wiring changes.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic