icon

2014 escape 80 bit standard key can issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cvsct698 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2014 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I posted this on the Idatalink link forum, and have yet to get a response. I figured I would go ahead and try here, too.
Yesterday, I installed a FT-F01-DC into a 2014 Escape. On completion of the install, the vehicle started fine with my first test. I shut the vehicle down by depressing the brake pedal. I finished tying up my install, then went to test again. this time the unit flashed the parking lights three times followed by five times(brake on code). I depressed the brake pedal and lifted it back up to ensure nothing was catching and that the switch was engaging. I tried starting again and had another failure with the same code. I completed a factory reset on the FT-F01-DC and tried again. Again I received the same fail code.
I called Compustar and went through the troubleshooting steps with them. They told me they had no idea what the problem was, other than a CAN communication error. They recommended a factory reset to be performed and that I call you. Five more times I attempted this, while calling your tech support during the fifth procedure. The fifth time I got parking light flashes again, but this time it was three and ten for Valet mode. By this point I was on the phone with a tech who had me reprogram the remotes to get out of valet mode, as the normal procedure for turning off valet mode didn't work. After doing so the remote start started functioning how it should.
I tested about 15 more times during reassembly and after letting the vehicle sit for about 15 minutes, and it started every time. At this point I am very nervous about this vehicle returning, though. Having had to perform a factory reset a total of six times, the sixth time leaving me locked in valet mode, but after getting it out of valet mode, the unit worked with no change to the install or explanation, leaves me little faith. Especially the case as it worked the first time and then stopped. I am left wondering if it will just stop again. Any ideas or solutions in case this does turn out to be the case?
This is with the COM-F01C firmware
cvsct698 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2014 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I know this will be asked. I use military splices for all my wiring. I then tape the connection then zip-tie twice, once on the splice itself, and then once above the splice to hold the two wires together and tape in place. The wires are then zip-tied to the harness. I do not solder, and it was confirmed by an Idatalink tech to not solder. All harnesses are seated properly into the module with slack left as to not put tension on the connectors.
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2014 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
cvsct698 wrote:
I know this will be asked. I use military splices for all my wiring. I then tape the connection then zip-tie twice, once on the splice itself, and then once above the splice to hold the two wires together and tape in place. The wires are then zip-tied to the harness. I do not solder, and it was confirmed by an Idatalink tech to not solder. All harnesses are seated properly into the module with slack left as to not put tension on the connectors.
I can personally guarantee no ADS tech told you not to solder.
As for your issue, did you try wiring the brake in instead of data?
cvsct698 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2014 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
I was hoping to avoid this, but somehow knew it was coming:
I can personally guarantee they did, and it wasn't just myself, but our entire install staff during our annual training. The reason for this is the increase in resistance caused by the solder can and does cause data communication issues. This is especially true in Chryslers. They receive numerous calls to tech support regarding this, and their recommended fix is to remove the soldered connection and reconnect without solder. I am inclined to believe the accuracy of this, as it was told to me by someone who is not only a tech, but also designs and tests these systems. Add to this that out of the countless starts I have installed, I have never had a single one have an issue due to not soldering, I am more than confident in the connections made to the vehicle.
Anyways, I considered wiring brake, but I didn't see it as a supported option for this unit and firmware, unlike the Fusion. Is there a secondary install option that would allow this? I have been considering calling the customer to have them come back so I can switch them out to a cs800 or cm7x00 with an AL-CA or Blade AL for my own peace of mind.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic