the12volt.com spacer
icon

Securing Doors on 2011 Ford E-350 Van

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whymeintrouble 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whymeintrouble
have a new to me van that I'm trying to find a better method of locking the doors down. currently the van has all manual locks on it. I am looking to do two things :
   1) put an alarm/remote start on it to allow single button locking
   2) have a more secure locking system, compatible with the alarm
as far as alarm, I'm looking at the Viper/Clifford 5706. I carry a lot of expensive tools with me and I'm trying to keep them short of electrifying the van Securing Doors on 2011 Ford E-350 Van - Last Post -- posted image. thank you for your help, and happy holidays!
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote freqsounds
You can get aftermarket power locks for your van.
The 5706 will work nicely and has 2-way communication and is SmartStart ready.
You can add on to the 5706 by installing a proximity sensor (not recommended where there are cats, coons, baby zombies, etc.), tilt sensor (not recommended in windy areas), glass break sensor (always recommended), etc.
One thing I like to do for additional security: you can get additional sirens (different brands and models, possibly peizo sirens too) and ADD them to it. The more you add, the more off-tune it is, and the more attention it gets. If the alarm ever goes off, instead of it being 'just another alarm', people are going to wonder what's making that noise. It increases the attention of the alarm. If you go this route, be prepared to use a relay so you don't draw too much power from the brain.
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
Hi,
There was a company had a product called CargoLock. Was an electronic deadbolt for the rear and side doors of a van. Used GM doorlock motors to move the deadbolt. The deadbolt was about 3/4 inch square.
Could be interfaced into an alarm system the same way as adding door locks. Since it's a utility van, does it have a wall behind the front seats? If not, definitely consider one.
Mark
whymeintrouble 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whymeintrouble
Just want to say thank you for all the advice. I've found CargoLock, but their website seems to be down. Phone still works though, will see if they have a local distributor. I'll post what I end up doing, thank you again
whymeintrouble 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2015 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote whymeintrouble
late last month I found a local company who use to carry the CargoLock line. They wouldn't comment on why they stopped doing business with them, but the look I was getting wasn't giving me confidence in them. I have found some other options which I'm researching and will update this thread as I progress.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic