icon

2005 ram 2500 new deck .

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
block83 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2015 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone can help me out here...
I'm trying to install a Kenwood deck into my 2005 Ram 2500. I have the basic 4 speaker, non-Infinity system. I've installed new systems in every vehicle I've owned and nothing has ever given me this much trouble...
I've tried 3 different harnesses thus far and have an issue with each:
Metra 70-6502: this is the basic harness Crutchfield says I need. When installed, the deck and speakers work as they should, but I lose the dash cluster and get a "NO BUS" message on the odometer. Now, everything I've read states that my truck shouldn't be CAN BUS controlled, but evidently it is.
Metra/Axxess CHTO-02: this is the harness needed for the CAN BUS equipped vehicles with the Infinity audio system. When installed, the deck and dash work as they should, but I get very, very little volume out of the speakers. I believe the interface box is cutting the level out of the new deck expecting it to be made up from by the Infinity amp, which I don't have.
Metra/Axxess XSVI-6502: this is the harness needed for the CAN BUS equipped vehicles with the standard 4 speaker non-Infinity/amplified system. When installed, the deck doesn't work at all, no power.
I've looked at all the wiring on all 3 harnesses and really the only thing different is that the XSVI harness doesn't have the red 12v switch/ignition wire on the female connector the plugs into the male connector inside the dash. It comes off the interface box instead of the connector like the other two.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm just about to put my fist through the dash.
Thanks in advance,
- Bob
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2015 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just wondering what the 10th digit of the vin is? That will remove all doubt as to what year the truck is.
If it's canbus then there should be a twisted pair consisting of WHITE/ orange and white at the radio harness and there will not be an accessory turn on wire(factory side of red wire of aftermarket harness).
If by chance on the basic metra 70-6502 harness there is a brown wire and you've connected it to anything, I would try disconnecting it.
When using the 70-6502 in certain vehicles, on the factory side of the metra brown(mute) wire is the j1850 data wire of the vehicle. I've seen it ground out and cause various error messages and dummy lights to illuminate.
If you do not have the factory amp then there will be 8 speaker wires pinned at the radio. If the truck is equipped with the amp then usually there is only 4 speaker wires ( left and right). You could also look behind the glove box on top of the heater box, flat metal box with 2 or 3 connectors is the factory amp.
Advanced
block83 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2015 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response man...
The 10 digit of the VIN is a 5, it's definitely a 2005. Build month was November '04.
There is a pink wire on the truck side of the connector, opposite the red switch/ignition wire on the Metra harness. I don't recall seeing the ORANGE / white & white twist.
I have all 8 wires on the truck harness and have looked for the amp behind the glovebox, which there isn't one. I definitely do not have the amplified system.
I'll try the 70-6502 harness again tomorrow with the mute wire disconnected. I believe I had it wired up the first and second times I tried it.
If it turns out to be something as simple as that, I'm going to have a stroke. lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic