icon

factory amp or headunit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
My cousin recently purchased a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban. It has onstar and a factory sub in the back, but no bose. He wants to install a Pioneer avh-x4700bs (after dash modification) and 4 Alpine sps-610 6.5" speakers in the doors.
He doesn't want the onstar feature, so I'm pretty sure using a standard wiring harness should be fine, but is it better to integrate the factory amp, or bypass it?
I would appreciate any info, Thanks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2015 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Using the amp would be easier. If you have to bypass it, it is located in front of the glove compartment. To power it up, there may be a pink wire in a harness other than the standard radio plug.
You do know that that deck is not going to fit without some cutting.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. I figured using the factory amp would be easier, but how would it differ in sound quality compared to the Pioneer headunit?
I know it would be best if I used an aftermarket amp to power up all the speakers, and that is the plan for the future, but for now; would using the factory amp sound better, worse, or the same than the (14 watts rms x 4) power of the Pioneer deck.
Also, I know I have to make modifications to the dash. I purchased a 03' dash bezel & radio/ac control bucket earlier in the week to make it easier. And funny enough, the day 'after' I purchased it, Metra released their 2015 catalog with a complete dash bezel replacement that required zero modification :). Still don't know the price yet though :)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2015 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you use the factory amp you can still have the factory sub if it is not already blown. Probably no difference in sound either way. Even with the new metra kit, you will still have to do some cutting. Most of the necessary cutting is behind the scene.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Thanks. He plans on installing a new subwoofer & amp, so I will probably just disconnect the factory sub.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic