icon

2015 Highlander: Acc Power in Map Light Cluster

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erkme73 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2015 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to get 12V acc power for my Passport 9500CXi and dash camera - which will both be located just beneath the rearview mirror.
The mirror itself has a 6-pin (or there abouts) harness, but only two wires - which power up only with the ignition on. Ultimately, I'd use that if I can't find accessory, but I'd prefer to have the camera running when in accessory mode.
There are two harnesses behind the map light cluster - one going to the cluster itself, and the other seems to be a simple junction between two bundles going through the space directly behind the cluster.   I've metered all the pins and found only two that are true battery voltage - but they're constant.
Does anyone have a good idea if ACC power exists above the headliner already, or do I have to run a cable up from the fuse box?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2015 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Not that I know your vehicle, but it's rare for ACC or IGN to be carried rearward. Exceptions include vehicles with rear cig-sockets or other power takeoffs, and some trailer plug wiring. Roof mounted amplified antennas may also have a +12V feed.
I'd consider using IGN as well to prevent camera dropout during cranking unless the camera has an off delay. Hence diode isolation of both ACC & IGN supplies - maybe thru a relay if the ~0.7V or ~0.3V Schottky diode drop proves to be a problem.
I run a cable pair for such situations (ie both +12V & GND) - usually fig-8 or coax - and terminate conveniently up front for easy switching options eg IGN & ACC, constant/manual, off.
erkme73 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2015 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'm thinking that's ultimately what I'll have to do. This Highlander replaces a '13 BWM X5 - which was a nightmare in its own right to find ACC power - but it was up there. The map light cluster, which includes the door-open-lights-on switch and homelink buttons, probably has some ACC power. I just don't want to smoke a 3 day old car and flub the warranty.
The dash cam (Blackvue) has a battery backup that holds over a drop in acc power for a few seconds during cranking. I think it takes upwards of 15 seconds to finish writing the current file and shut down after power has been cut.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2015 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
At least the Highlander is Jap which IMO have always had superior electrics (since the 1960s).
Cams can be like GPS whereby they sense voltage changes - ie, switch off with engine off (no charging) despite still being +12V connected. [My cig sockets are constant +12V but my GPS & cameras still turn off with IGN off (when set to do so obviously).]
Not that I've investigated, but IMO it should be obvious that they have a short ride-thru delay to prevent power cycling during cranking and short term voltage sags. Without that they are very likely to hang - especially if it takes seconds to write files etc. (GPS shouldn't have that issue unless recording so it's only the usual requirement for a long enough break for CPU circuits).   
I didn't think of dome and map lights. D'oh! Traditionally they are constant +12V with GND switching to doors and on/off switches so they might be suitable sources - especially if they have voltage sensing as described above and no other switching requirements (eg, manual on). Alas these days they may use local GNDs with +12V switching.   
Years ago some used to multiplex existing wires - eg, use speaker wires for +12V transmission (with capacitor isolation for the speakers).
Signalling could also used - ie, inject an AC signal that controlled devices at far end. That became easier with later comms & uPC chips.
However these days, with BCMs & who knows what OEM equipment - it's no longer as simple as a naive add-on.
Tho running new wires is a PITA it is usually the most desirable.
When I go to that trouble I usually run extra wires (future proofing). Often it's a relatively hefty battery +12V with a few signal wires to control relays etc tho sometimes I might include IGN or ACC for simplicity. I often include a GND power wire for chassis independence. A lack of enough signal wires can be overcome using signaling & control techniques - eg PICAXEs and i2c comms or commercial 2 wire control systems.
More recently, cheap wireless remotes can be a great substitute for signal wires, or a great way to control any accessory. (I recently built a 50A Anderson connector intercept box that uses a 60A relay and wireless remote. Mainly intended for my 12V tyre pump but can be used for anything.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic