the12volt.com spacer
icon

mustang sequentials

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dorin2042 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dorin2042
Hello relay gurus :). I have a question about a type of wiring for my car.
So I have an 04 mustang with sequential tail lights and Led bulbs. What I'm trying to do is to have sequence only on the turn signal and not when I hit the brakes. So basically I want them to act just like the 2010+ mustangs when you hit the brakes all lights come on in the same time. I guess I need too feed from the third brake light trough a relay but at this point don't know how and if possible.
Thank you.
dorin2042 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dorin2042
Anyone? Sorry, but I've realized that I posted in the wrong forum I think.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2015 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Nah, I'd just be searching the web like you can do except I'd have to ascertain what 04 & 10 mustangs have - ie, shared or common stop/flasher bulbs etc.
Not that the brakes should be triggering any sequential flasher...
dorin2042 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2015 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dorin2042
I actually did a lot of research on the Web with zero results. The 04 and 10 mustangs have nothing on common other then the emblem. The lights on the 10 mustang are controlled by a SJB (Smart junction box). My lights have classic flasher relay and I have aftermarket sequentials wired in the back at the taillight harnesses.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2015 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Yeah well, what can I say....
Many ways to do depending on what is original or presently there and what is desired...
The simplest way is a complete separation of stop (& tails) and flashers.
If combined IMO it gets convoluted... Assuming flasher overrides stop does that mean a chasing stop or stops all off & does the tail blank. IE a 3 bulb stop/tail/sequential-flasher - with 3 bulb brakes on do all 3 stops blank or only for the flasher bulb that is flashing; when blanked does that mean fully blanked or merely to tail light brightness assuming they are on?
Then comes the actual implementation...
I find it's bad enough dealing with those wanting to recreate combined stop flashers (or reverse flashers) since generally it's either a rewire of typical OEM wiring (eg, flasher-can goes after the flasher/hazard switch) plus relays else a time delay circuit is required.
Add in the complication of separate tail filaments else a single LED for all...
And then how each sequential flasher system works - ie, an add-on counter/distributor to an existing thermal or electronic flasher system, or standalone with dummy loads...
IMO the universal solution is a PICAXE 08 per side (or corner...) but that's too involved for some.
Other solutions become hardware specific - ie watcha got & watcha want.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2015 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
The 2010 Mustang taillight assemblies are Canbus. The light assemblies only have power and data input. No flashers, no brake or turn or tail input. Just data and power. The brake and turn switches are inhputs to the BCM, the BCM puts out the request on the Canbus, and the taillights receive the request and act upon it.
I'm sure there are ways to do this with the 2004, but it won't be the way 2010+ does it.
dorin2042 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2015 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dorin2042
davep. wrote:
The 2010 Mustang taillight assemblies are Canbus. The light assemblies only have power and data input. No flashers, no brake or turn or tail input. Just data and power. The brake and turn switches are inhputs to the BCM, the BCM puts out the request on the Canbus, and the taillights receive the request and act upon it.
I'm sure there are ways to do this with the 2004, but it won't be the way 2010+ does it.
There is no way of doing a similar circuit like the 2010+ Mustangs have but I just want to replicate the way the lights turn on. Web electric.Com has a kit that can be programmed to do that but it's expensive and since I already have these sequencers and bunch of relays I wanted to try.
I have found 2 ways of doing this that work. One is something I came up with and a second option would be something that uses the pulsed to steady output diagram from the relay diagrams section. I will post the diagram as soon as I will be done testing everything. I am using the third brake light circuit in conjunction with a relay activated by the pulse to steady relay circuit to bypass the sequential module with some diodes.
At this point I am not sure what diode amperage to use for the brake bulbs 21 watts each.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic