the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring horn to alarm problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zen.. 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zen..
Hello, I've tried searching and already tried different setups but unfortunately all setups have failed. What I want to achieve is to hook my car horns to my alarm with a pulsating signal when the alarm goes of. I have already tried different setups as follows.
Note: my alarm is not programable and have a steady 12+ siren output and pulsating 12v+ lights output( 1 chirp for arm and 2 chirp for disarm)
First:
Hook an electronic flasher to the siren output then add a reversing polarity relay to trigger the horns relay
Problem: when the alarm is triggered the horn will have a steady beep. Arm and
Disarm is working
Second:
Hook a reversing polarity relay to the siren output then a flasher before the horn trigger.
Problem:
Arming doesn't soumd and disarming only chirp once. Alarm is now pulsating.
Third:
Have a 2 relay that requires 2 12v triggers, 1 trigger is the siren output and second is the light output. What i want to achieve in this setup is to use the flashing light as a flashing trigger when siren is on.
Problem: disarm only chirp once. Arming chirp once as normal and the alarm is now pulsed. Maybe this problem is the effect of the light and the siren not in sync for the second chirp during disarming
Fourth:
Have a relay that is triggered by the siren output then attach a flasher before the horn.
Problem: same as he second problem
Fifth: attach a flasher to the output of the siren the add a relay.
Problem: same as the first problem.
What can I do to achieve this kind of setup?
Why does the flasher failed in the first and fifth setups?
Thanks.
zen.. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zen..
Btw: my car is a 1995 civic hatch. Horn is a negative trigger.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You need an alarm with a low current secondary horn output which can be programmed as solid/oscillate, with arm/disarm or full alarm only such as DEI product.
Then you simply connect that output to your factory horn feed at the steering column loom.
zen.. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zen..
Is there any other option aside from buying a new alarm sir?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
No, your problem is that the 12V+ siren output is constant, the oscillation part is done by the siren itself.
A unit such as DEI with a dedicated horn as well as siren output is the way to go.
zen.. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote zen..
Thanks. My next question sir is Why does the flasher failed in the first and fifth setups? I mean why does it fail to make constant to pulse signal.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Time and heating effects I believe.
They are load sensitive, probably no load on example one.
Frankly I didn't look at the examples, I knew the reason and the answer before I read the question, been there, done that.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic