the12volt.com spacer
icon

Passlock issue on a 97 Chevy Malibu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaxzin 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2015 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaxzin
Have a 97 Chevy Malibu that I am trying to install alarm / keyless start on.
On the passlock wires I cut the yellow and stripped it back at the key side.
I removed some of the insulation from the black wire. Attached my meter to the yellow key side and black. When I turn the key I get no resistance reading at all.
Bad ignition module? If so how do I go about guessing what resistance it was before to try to match something up?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2015 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Does the car start OK with the key?

Are you sure you have the right Passlock2 reference wire?  Could be Black or ORANGE / Black.

You could do a permanent bypass.  Warning :  This will eliminate the Passlock2 ignition immobilizer all together.

Don't need to use relays or have any connection to the R/S system.

Tap any resistor value between the passlock reference wire and the cut Yellow Passlock wire, car side.  Cut it off the

keyswitch side of the passlock wire so only the resistor sits on the car side.

Start your car, it will fail, be patient.

Wait 10 minutes with ignition on, turn it off and start again.  Do it 3 times and the new resistor value will

be registered.

Or you could do this procedure and then use the resistor with the Passlock2 bypass relays.  That way the

car would only start with the R/S and not the ignition key.

Soldering is fun!
jaxzin 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaxzin
kreg357 wrote:

Does the car start OK with the key?

Are you sure you have the right Passlock2 reference wire?  Could be Black or ORANGE / Black.

You could do a permanent bypass.  Warning :  This will eliminate the Passlock2 ignition immobilizer all together.

Don't need to use relays or have any connection to the R/S system.

Tap any resistor value between the passlock reference wire and the cut Yellow Passlock wire, car side.  Cut it off the

keyswitch side of the passlock wire so only the resistor sits on the car side.

Start your car, it will fail, be patient.

Wait 10 minutes with ignition on, turn it off and start again.  Do it 3 times and the new resistor value will

be registered.

Or you could do this procedure and then use the resistor with the Passlock2 bypass relays.  That way the

car would only start with the R/S and not the ignition key.

Im sure I got the right wires. There is a bundle of 3 wires that comes from the ignition module top side. Smaller wires that are Yellow, black and white.
I just couldnt get any resistance measurement when I cut the yellow wire at the ignition side. Currently put a 2K resistor on the car side to the black wire and am trying the 30 minute relearn but my battery keeps running low.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2015 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Chris Luongo
In my experiences with the Malibu, Grand Am, and Alero, the ignition and Passlock wires make a sort of "loop" behind the ignition switch where you can't see so well.
More times than I'd like to admit, I've on occasion wired up the bypass module backwards by accident.
If you reach back there and feel how the wires are routed, you just might be testing the "car side" of the cut yellow wire instead of the "key side" by accident.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic