the12volt.com spacer
icon

Orbit OB-2482 not responding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sammith 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2016 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
Hi everyone,
First post in this forum. I recently bought a used 05 Pontiac Vibe that included a remote started model Orbit OB-2482. The remotes don't seem to control anything (lock, unlock, start, trunk) so I started looking around for an issue. Here's what I've done so far:
LED on remotes turns on when pushing a button, but I still checked the batteries just in case, all good. So seems to me the remotes are fine. So I decided to try programming in case the module lost memory of the remotes.
First I tried programming by pushing the button on the antenna. The LED went solid and I did the ignition off/on/off as per the manual, but when I held the lock button on the remote, the parking lights never flashed and the remotes still didn't work afterwards.
Then I tried entering programming using the hood pin. Held for 4 seconds, then release and push and release quickly. Parking lights never turned on. I also read a note in the programming guide about vehicles that require the ignition to be ON for the brake circuit to activate and tried that, but it didn't seem to help (I might have done it wrong though, not sure). Either way, I think my brake circuit is always ON on this vehicle (TBC).
So that's where I'm at right now. I have a decent background which should help me troubleshoot this, but with a 1 year old at home and -20C degree weather outside, I doubt I'll have the time or the motivation to try pinning things out, so I'm hoping someone here might have some insight as to where I should go next.
Thanks!
P.S. I've tried searching the forums in case there's already an answer out there, but I wasn't quite sure how to describe the problem in a few words, so my search came up empty. Sorry in advance is this isn't the first post for this problem.
pjr
sammith 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
Update: Checked things over a bit tonight and found that the contact for the valet switch was dirty. Cleaned it up and now the parking lights react. Tried going through programming the remotes, still no luck.
Tried resetting the module (entering programming mode then pumping the brake pedal multiple times until the parking lights flash 8 times), it worked. Tried programming again, no luck.
I tried programming using all 3 methods (valet switch, module button and antenna button) and they all didn't work.
One thing I noticed but have no idea if it could be part of the problem is that when I turn the key to ON and then OFF again, the parking lights and the antenna LED turn off but come back on within a few seconds. The manual doesn't mention if this is supposed to happen. Could this be a hint as to the problem?
Last thing: When I decided to pack up for the night, I closed the hood and the antenna's LED started flashing (about 1 flash per second). From what I've read this means the car is in Starter kill mode. Is that right? How could that have happened without any remote input? I didn't try starting the car to see if it really was because the baby is sleeping right above, so I don't know if it really is in Starter kill mode.
Any help is appreciated. TIA!
pjr
sammith 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2016 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
I'm starting to think the issue is probably with the RF connection between the remotes and the antenna so I started looking into a way to test this. Basically from what I've found, RF signals can't be tested without a proper tester (or even a simple one that hooks up to my phone), so I'd have to go out and buy something to probably just use it once which I'm hoping to avoid.
I tried programming the remote I use on my other vehicle (since I know that one works) and again nothing, so my next guess would be that the RF antenna isn't receiving a signal. The LED on the antenna works so I know it's getting power, but I can't swap out the antenna from my other vehicle so I can't go about testing it like that.
Anyone ever had an antenna fail like this? Or have any other ideas? Any input is appreciated.
pjr

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic