icon

starter on a manual clutch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Duston 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Any help with a starter on a 98 ford ranger ! 5 speed need help bypassing the clutch when starting.. If i push the clutch in it starts fine so i'm good with all the wires, please leave any thing that might help me out.

also at the top of the clutch there are like five wires so i'm guessing its a neg type clutch.   thanks

Factory security systems suck!
delta737310 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
this is just a general guess, but there might be a second pin type switch for the clutch.  usually the upper switch is the one that has to be bypassed.  if this is not the case, imsorry. i just found that the neatraul safety switch is not the grounding type.  Although i've never installed a remote start on a ford ( and i assume this is what u are doing)  i would try a negative pulse first with a diode.if this does'nt workthen try positve.   make sure the diode is turned the right way.   good luck.
bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  
If you are gonna do this, you must know that the car must always be in neutral in order for it to work safely. That is why they say not put it on manual tranny's. It would be cool if there was a way to monitor whether the tranny was in gear or not. I have thought about this a lot, but the only gear that can be monitored electrically that I know is reverse, since it has the switch that turns on the reverse lights. If it were possible to monitor all the other gears electrically then the remote start could be limited in operation to only when the car is out of gear.
Be careful.
Brad
werd
delta737310 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

in response to a response

They do make remote starts for manual transmissions which require the car to be in neutral or remote start can not be initiate.   this install requires a connection of the door pin also.  the car is neutraled,  hand brake is applied,  car is left running and when u exit the car,  close the door and car shut down.       just fyi

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
this is easy first to bypass the clutch you can either bypass it all together or with a third ignition out or with dei you can use one of the blue wires on to activate a relay to connect the clutch wires. by doing it with a relay you just have to tap on to the two wires that control the starting of the clutch this way also leaves the clutch normal for a person to start the car they would have to press down clutch...
to do this find the two wires that have continuity when pressing the clutch and down when the clutch is depressed,. than take two wires and tap one on each of those wires. than connect one wire (either) to pin 87 and the other to pin 30
than take pin 8 and give it a ten amped fused constant wire. and take that negative remote start wire. and connect it to pin 85 . 87a not used. .. so what happens is when you press the remote start button on remote before the car stars this relay will complete the clutch connection and allow the car to start...
anothing thing to do with manual cars is making the hand brake become the neutral safty .. the hand brake throws ground when in the up possition. so the remote start will require the hand brake in the up position to work as well. if you dont use the hand brake you will be at risk on the car being left in gear. atleast with the hand brake hooked up it will give you a better chance. not having a problem. to do this test the wire connected to the ebrake cable and determine which one throws ground when the e brake is up and connect the neutral safty wire from the remote start to the ebrake wire..
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
Mr.Swifty 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
on the fords you usually have a starter solenoid on the firewall or fender.....find the signal wire going to the solenoid, I think Red with blue tracer.....find the matching color wire on the clutch safety switch.....the switch should have 2 wires going into it....one will have 12v+ when the key is turned to start position, and the other will have the 12v+ when the clutch is pressed in to close the circuit.....take your starter wire from the alarm (12v+) and hook into the wire on the starter side of the clutch safety switch....this will send the signal to the starter solenoid, turning on the starter.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic