the12volt.com spacer
icon

One switch to control them all

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote TheDouche
Hey guy and gals, had a question for you. I have a 1967 cougar coupe that I'm looking to upgrade to power windows. They have bolt in kits so no prob there. My problem is that I want to use the switches can mount the original window crank handle on it. So my question is, is there a way to have the drivers crank switch control all four windows? Or maybe both front individually and the rears at the same time?
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
Are you wanting to use the aftermarket switches that mimic the crank handle in that behind the door panel attached to the window crank are micro switches ?. I've seen these types before so that looking at the inside of the door a person see's a window crank but instead of having this mechanically crank the window up and down, the crank with it's switches operates the electric motor for the window ?. These replacement handles too only move on a little bit of an arc and do not rotate in a full circle.
If we are on the same page here, I've thought of what you are asking also in that you only have one driver's door crank but how to operate more than one window.
An idea I had was to have all of the windows wired to some kind of underdash, console, or in a hidden area a switch to where when it was in position 1, the driver's crank switch would operate just the driver's power window motor. Then with the switch in position 2, the driver's crank switch would operate just the passenger switch. Then with the switch into a position 3, then operate just the LR window, and when in position 4, just the RR window.
My concern was how to maybe get all of them to go down at once and/or all up at once and was thinking about maybe using some of the automatic window modules in that if a signal is sent to the module, it would roll all of them up and/or down.
I have a 74 Spirit of America Nova that I too want to add power windows to it but still keep the appearance of the cranks on the interior panels.
If you do come up with a diagram or layout, let me know.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
TheDouche 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote TheDouche
Yeah that's exactly what I was think but I don't think I'm skilled enough to do it. But yeah that's exactly the switch I was talking about
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Custom_Jim
In case you get someone else doing a design for you, are your window motors a 2 wire design that do not require the motor to be grounded, or do the motors have two wires and NEED to have the motors grounded ?.
The reason I'm asking is most power window motors are a two wire design without requiring the motor to be grounded and in this case, if you apply 12v to one wire and a ground to the other wire, the motor goes one way and then if the wires are flipped from where they are getting power and ground from, the motor then goes the other way and in both cases, the motor itself does not have to be grounded.
Years ago, I believe they had window motors that required the motor to be grounded and still had two wires coming out of them. In those cases if you had the motor grounded and you applied 12V to one of the wires the motor would go one way and then if you took power off of that wire and put 12V to the other wire, the motor would go the other direction.
Jim
1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic