the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Start Install with Bypass on Manual Trans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snakeman1978 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2016 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote snakeman1978
VEHICLE INFO
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD 3.0L Manual Transmission.
EQUIPMENT USED/OWNED
Carvox 99X (already owned this) iDatalink ALCA bypass (recently purchased).
BACK STORY:
I have experience with electronics, vehicles and stereo installations but haven't installed Remote Starter alarm in the past. My primary goal is the remote start and the alarm is secondary therefore I've started wiring the Remote start module and flashed the bypass module. Constant, ACC, Ignition, starter, and Bypass wires are landed but so far the truck won't remote start. It won't remote start even with the clutch pedal depressed and the key in the ignition.
Questions:
1.The hood pin switch on the Carvox module is looking for negative polarity so can I ground it to think that the hood is closed? If not should this prevent the starter from working if not used?
2. The Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)/Parking Brake wire is currently not hooked up because the physical parking brake switch is not activated until the ignition is on, therefore at rest I can't show that the parking brake is on (I believe this is just for the dash light). Is there a NSS on this truck with a manual transmission and can this be tricked with a magnetic contact?
3. I'm also having trouble finding the wire colors from a newer 2004 Ranger wiring diagram for the Door Trigger Input, Door Lock/Unlock. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this specific 2003 Ranger truck?
BTW...I'm aware of the risk putting remote start in Manual trans but my E-brake works good and I don't leave the vehicle in gear. Also, I know about the pre-shut off routine that some manufactures use but I already had this hardware and would like to make it work.
Thanks for any help someone can provide.
JB
Tech Junkie Hobbyist
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2016 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The hood pin wire will not allow the vehicle to start if it is grounded. Hood closed the pinswitch is open. Open the hood and it grounds the wire.
Legally that is probably all we can help you do. I can get you in touch with several people that Always park their vehicle in neutral, their emergency brake works great, and all the other safety things. They have had to follow the tire marks in the dew, into the woods to retrieve their 5 series that was now wrapped around a tree.
snakeman1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2016 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote snakeman1978
This is an older truck for work commute. I promise there is no risk of legal reprocussions. I will ensure the safety mechanism is in place (The plan is to have a magnetic position switch on the gear shifter fabricated so that if in any gear it will not start) Please help. :)
snakeman1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2017 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote snakeman1978
So I have got the truck to remote start but it continues to try to start after already started (i.e. like turning the key after already started) I believe that is overcome with the Tach wire telling the module that it is started. I'm on the tan/white wire near the distributor. I'm getting 13 volts but I've read it should be 1-6 volts. I don't get that particular voltage on any of the wires in that harness. Any help?
scottgardner795 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2017 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote scottgardner795
Tach should fluctuate around 5 volts A/C voltage while at idle.
snakeman1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2017 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote snakeman1978
Anybody bypass the clutch position switch to install a remote starter? I want to fabricate a magnetic contact in its place for a remote starter that is already installed and working besides the clutch pedal position switch. 2003 Ford Ranger Edge Manual. Thanks in advance.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2017 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
snakeman1978 wrote:
Anybody bypass the clutch position switch to install a remote starter? I want to fabricate a magnetic contact in its place for a remote starter that is already installed and working besides the clutch pedal position switch. 2003 Ford Ranger Edge Manual. Thanks in advance.
haha magnetic contact... you must be a security alarm installer. sadly it would be way easier if cars worked like that. but anyway, bypassying the clutch is similar to bypassing ANY switch, magnetic or otherwise, you just have to find the switch and figure out if it is a normally open or closed type. if its normally closed then open it, if its normally open then close it. on a ranger id doubt this will be a factor but there may be some sort or resistance sensing involved, but i doubt it. you should be able to use a 12v relay powered from the remote starters ground when running wire to electronically jump the contacts of the clutch switch.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic