the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 Hyundai Accent, Avital 4115L, and DEI 689m

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
schultp 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2017 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
First time posting. I have not been able to successfully do this remote starter installation. Any sage advise would be appreciated!
VEHICLE: 2008 Hyundai Accent hatchback, 1.6L manual transmission. No immobilizer. No power locks. No power windows.
PRODUCTS: Avital 4115L Remote Starter Kit (new) and DEI 689m Neutral Safety Module (bought as new old stock off ebay)
GOAL: To install only remote start on a manual transmission
SYMPTOMS: Cannot get 689m to send proper neutral safety signal to the 4115L. When I place 4115L into program mode and check error message I get 8 blinks of the LED. Per the manual this indicates the BLACK/ white wire is not receiving a neutral safety signal.
I am exhausted from contorting in a cold garage trying to get this to work. I have checked connections (almost all are solder connections) and confirmed I have good grounds and the 689m relay is wired correctly my handbrake goes to ground when pulled, and my clutch pedal wiring to the 689m is correct. I can get the 4115L to recognize programming of the FOB since I get the confirmatory horn beeps. But, the indicator LED I attached to the 689m does not light up at all. I also can tell some of the internal relays within the 4115L activate with the FOB as I can hear them clicking repeatedly when I try to activate via the FOB.
I know the 689m is no longer produced and I now am aware I should have bought a RS like a Compustar that has manual capabilities built-in. But, at the time I was not aware so I found the 689m as an alternative to provide a safe option for a manual transmission. Obviously the 689m could be defective given its age. But, it was in an unopened package so at least I know it was not used in the past. All parts looks unused as well.
This is for my high school son's car that he drives to/from school. I wanted to give him the ability to warm it up in the morning as a christmas gift. If I had to do this over I would have gladly gone to a shop and had them do a complete package. Live and learn. I'm willing to try a few ideas if there are any promising leads after someone looks over what I have done.
Also, is there an Avital (DEI, Viper, Clifford, etc) remote starter that is manual transmission compatible? I'd consider purchasing a different unit if some of the existing connectors I have installed could be reused. I just don't have the energy to contort under that tiny driver dash so am hoping some of the existing connectors could be reused.
Anyway, here is the table showing my connections. It might not format on smaller screens as it has multiple columns:

[IMG]uploads/avital-remote-start-wiring-table-pic.jpg[/IMG]
schultp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2017 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
Trying again to post pic of my wiring connection table...
2008 Hyundai Accent, Avital 4115L, and DEI 689m - Last Post -- posted image.
schultp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2017 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
Here is a pic showing the 689m wiring:
2008 Hyundai Accent, Avital 4115L, and DEI 689m - Last Post -- posted image.
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kaezoo
DEI does make units designed for manual transmissions, but it would be a completely different control unit from the one that you have, so the plugs wouldn't transfer.
The 689M's LED light is supposed to come on as soon as it detects that the parking brake is applied while the engine is running. If this isn't happening, you need to check the inputs that the 689M is monitoring for this step: ignition, tach and parking brake.
Make sure you're following the steps in the right order. The engine must be running before the parking brake is applied--if you have the brake set all the time during your testing, the module won't set up. Start the car with the parking brake off and your foot on the brake pedal, set the parking brake, then release the brake pedal. At this point the LED light should come on. If it doesn't, then you need to test:
-power and ground at the 689M
-ignition at the 689M
-tach sense. Did you successfully program the tach input to the 4115L system? If not, you may not have the correct tach wire connected in the vehicle.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
Your Avital brake shutdown input should be connected to pin 86 of the relay with the brake pedal switch. Right now you are connected to parking light switch.   Connect the white Avital parking light output to that red light switch connection and set to (-) parking lights. Make sure your diode band is toward the status output/input wires.
Lectric Guy
schultp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
lectricguy wrote:
Your Avital brake shutdown input should be connected to pin 86 of the relay with the brake pedal switch. Right now you are connected to parking light switch.   Connect the white Avital parking light output to that red light switch connection and set to (-) parking lights. Make sure your diode band is toward the status output/input wires.
I missed inclusion of the WHITE Avital 4115L primary harness wire in my table. It is currently connected to the RED wire at the LIGHT SWITCH connector at the steering wheel stalk and I did set the jumpers to (-).
Concerning the Relay wiring: The 689m relay is set up so that the normally closed pin 87a always passes the handbrake (-) through to the 689m. When the brake switch is activated it flips the relay to pin 87 and disrupts the handbrake connection to the 689m. From my understanding this is the design intent as any pressing of the brake pedal should disrupt the remote start by breaking the handbrake input to the 689m.
I do see from my table that I show the BROWN Brake shutdown wire (+) from the Avital 4115L connecting with the RED Brake light switch (+12V) wire at the pedal. But, when I connected this same RED wire to the 689m relay I don't recall also wiring this to the BROWN wire on the 4115L. Something to confirm. I take it this might create an issue if I missed connecting the brown wire???
schultp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
kaezoo wrote:
DEI does make units designed for manual transmissions, but it would be a completely different control unit from the one that you have, so the plugs wouldn't transfer.
The 689M's LED light is supposed to come on as soon as it detects that the parking brake is applied while the engine is running. If this isn't happening, you need to check the inputs that the 689M is monitoring for this step: ignition, tach and parking brake.
Make sure you're following the steps in the right order. The engine must be running before the parking brake is applied--if you have the brake set all the time during your testing, the module won't set up. Start the car with the parking brake off and your foot on the brake pedal, set the parking brake, then release the brake pedal. At this point the LED light should come on. If it doesn't, then you need to test:
-power and ground at the 689M
-ignition at the 689M
-tach sense. Did you successfully program the tach input to the 4115L system? If not, you may not have the correct tach wire connected in the vehicle.
I did go through the tach signal training sequence for the 4115L and did get the red LED on the 4115L to respond as expected. I am using a direct tach wire connection at the ECM under the hood.
I believe once or twice I tried to start and run the vehicle with the handbrake disengaged and then to engage it as part of the sequence. But, I'll redo this with more attention to detail.
I like your simple approach to confirming power and ground at the 689m. I believe they are fine but if I am not getting the LED to light up it is an obvious area to check.
Thanks.
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kaezoo
schultp wrote:
Concerning the Relay wiring: The 689m relay is set up so that the normally closed pin 87a always passes the handbrake (-) through to the 689m. When the brake switch is activated it flips the relay to pin 87 and disrupts the handbrake connection to the 689m. From my understanding this is the design intent as any pressing of the brake pedal should disrupt the remote start by breaking the handbrake input to the 689m.
I do see from my table that I show the BROWN Brake shutdown wire (+) from the Avital 4115L connecting with the RED Brake light switch (+12V) wire at the pedal. But, when I connected this same RED wire to the 689m relay I don't recall also wiring this to the BROWN wire on the 4115L. Something to confirm. I take it this might create an issue if I missed connecting the brown wire???
Because the other side of the relay coil is connected to the status output, the relay only breaks the parking brake connection if the foot brake is pressed after the remote start is activated. This is how the 689M detects the brake shutdown function, but it's not going to affect the initial steps in setting up the 689M for remote start. In other words, it's not the reason the 689M's LED isn't coming on.
The vehicle brake wire color should be green, not red. You should have both the red wire from the relay and the brown wire from the 4115L connected here.
schultp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote schultp
kaezoo wrote:
schultp wrote:
Because the other side of the relay coil is connected to the status output, the relay only breaks the parking brake connection if the foot brake is pressed after the remote start is activated. This is how the 689M detects the brake shutdown function, but it's not going to affect the initial steps in setting up the 689M for remote start. In other words, it's not the reason the 689M's LED isn't coming on.
The vehicle brake wire color should be green, not red. You should have both the red wire from the relay and the brown wire from the 4115L connected here.
Thanks. You are right. I used the GREEN wire at the brake light switch at the pedal. My table has an error.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic